Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS - Strange results for Monopole Antenna Parameters

Status
Not open for further replies.

EMHerb

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I ran some simulations in HFSS for a monopole, using a lumped port.

Port impedance is set to the complex conjugate of the antenna's impedance. The results obtained shows a well-matched port, where S11 is close to -60 dB.

But when I compute the antenna parameters with an infinte sphere under "Radiation tab", the results are:

1) Peak Gain = 0.68226
2) Peak Realised gain = 1.08 e-05
3) Radiated Power = 0.00387 W
4) Accepted Power = 0.00396 W
5) Incident Power = 250.99 W
6) Radiation Efficiency = 0.97767

Questions:
-I find it strange that incident power is 250.99 W. I thought the manual said that lumped ports are 1 W?
-If my S11 is well-matched (-60 dB), why is my peak realised gain not close to my peak gain? And why is accepted power so low?

Would appreciate any comments about this.

Thanks in advance.

Maybe a bit late, but I think I can give an answer to the first question: as I found out with several simulations, just the real part of the power (the real power) into the port is normalized to 1W, but the incident power appears to be the total power (apparent power) and is therefore 1W *sqrt(Re(Z)^2+Im(Z)^2)/Re(Z).

But as to why the accepted power is so low... I don't know. I got similar results and am still trying to find solutions to those effects.

Reactions: waw

waw

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Hi,

Just a thought, HFSS computes the antenna parameters at the solution frequency by default. Make sure you solve at the correct resonant frequency and then compute the parameters. I don't recall now, but maybe if you do a fast sweep and tell it to save all the fields, you can also calculate the parameters at different frequencies.

Hope that helps.

Hi,
are you using a wave port or a lumped port?
I have the same effect here using a lumped port. Perhaps with a lumped port it will work.
In another post () I have found this formula:

incident power (Pinc) = 1W
accepted power (Pacc) = Pinc * (1 - s11^2 ) (ie mismatched loss)

But this doesnt' work for me.

Addition:
Are you using a complex port impedance?
I think the above froumla works if the port has only a resistance and no reactance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back