Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS - "Solve Inside" / Skin Depth Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

etothe456t

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
solve inside set

All objects in HFSS have a check box for whether or not to "Solve Inside". It is usually set by default except for object of high conductivity.

For example when adding "Solve Inside" to a copper microstrip trace, a warning is issued "Solving inside a solid with high conductivity may require a large mesh".

The most important information for me to capture is the RF resistance of the copper. If "Solve Inside" is not set, will I be missing this data? or since current only flows in the skin depth, does HFSS automatically capture this?

solve inside

etothe456t said:
The most important information for me to capture is the RF resistance of the copper. If "Solve Inside" is not set, will I be missing this data?
You do not need to check "Solve Inside" to take into account ohmic losses. Just define material properties or assign "Finite Conductivity" as outer boundary condition.
Check this option only if you are really looking for a fileld structure inside a skin layer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back