Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS simulation with Coplanar Waveguide Resonator

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadak

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

At the risk of annoying some of you here for posting, most probably, trivial questions on the HFSS simulation I am trying to carry out. I've scourged through the HFSS documentation and the two posts in the forum related to CPW+HFSS. I came out even more confused than before. Here I go:

I'm trying to calculate the resonance frequency of a CPW resonator as well as the Q-factor of the resonator. The conductive part is fabricated from Aluminium 50nm thickness, the substrate is Sapphire 0.5mm thickness. It's supposed to have a resonance frequency at about 6 GHz. Both ends of the resonator are capacitively coupled to the external enviroment through the finger capacitor. The external circuit receive RF from external circuit through an aluminium wire bonded on the chip and the external circuit. Since the detail of how I send the RF in will not substantially change ( I think) the resonance frequency and the Q-factor of the circuit, I thought I just used a lumped port to model the excitation port. I don't get the right result in the end ( plot of S21 vs freq)

You can find the hfss files in the attachment

My questions are:
1. I got an error 'Too many conductors touch lumped port'. Does this mean that the layout of my excitation port is wrong? Any guideline on how to make the right layout for the port?
2. I have not defined any ground for the problem. Is this okay?
3. Am I doing it wrong? Should I use a waveport? Is there any guideline for choosing between waveport or lumped port? I tried to look at the documentation but it's not so clear for me.
4. The only thing I have so far specified on the structure is the material itself. I have not specifically set the boundary condition on the surface of the conductive surface. Is this okay?
5. I have set an integration line on the excitation port, but I have no idea if I'm doing it correctly.

The two forum posts I have looked into are:
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/219396/
https://www.edaboard.com/threads/27106/

I'm new to this software and don't have proper background in this electronic simulation. Thank you all in advance for helping me in this!

Attachments

• CPW_20160326_1.zip
    13.4 MB · Views: 143

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back