Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS or CST or ... Microstripes !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

adel_48

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
tlm microstripes low frequency

Hi all,

I knew about a new EM simulation software called Microstripes which is based on the TLM method, but I don't know much about the Transmission line Modeling (TLM) method and what is it in comparison to FEM (HFSS) and FDTD (CST)

so does anyone have an idea how this method would be advantageous over FEM or FDTD.

BR
Adel_48

fem hfss

Hi,

just a brief information from me. TLM is in principle very close to FDTD method, they both simulate in the time domain. The basic implementation of the time scheme i.e. the formulation is different, but most of the pros and cons for FDTD apply to TLM as well.

flyhigh

Hi,

HFSS is FEM (frequency) method and is good for solving a structure in a known frequency, but more time consuming for broad range of frequencies, and is slower for complicated geometries because of huge matrix of unknowns that must be solved in the FEM method.

CST is FDTD (time) method and is good for broadband results and faster calculations, but not good for closed structures w/ High Q signal since they tend to be slow to decay in time domain

MicroStripes is TLM (time) and simular to FDTD, but code is more stable (does not share FDTD's dispersion error issue) and cell meshing/lumping can be more brutal without causing errors

seems we are still stuck with the same question :)
I can not comment on microstripes since I havent used it. But to my 4 year long experience with EM simulators, MWS is the best. In addition, MWS can be complemented with RSOFT's photonics suite. The combination of these two softwares make a great tool for research purposes. But yet, the best simulator depends on your needs.

I don't know about TLM. But I think Microstripes is more user friendly than HFFS. For CST, I never use it :D

Actually, CST is FIT (Finite Integral Technique), which is very similar to FDTD in many respects.

CST has time domain (FIT),
Frequency Domain (FIT-FD and FEM),
Eigenmode Solution,
and I think they just added a 3D Method of Moments code for 3D meshing of large bodies for RCS calculations and large antenna problems.

All the solvers are attached to the same framework, so you can use any of the solvers on one model, which is convenient. They also can couple high frequency current density results to their Thermal Solver in their low frequency suite, called EM Studio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back