Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] HFSS Metamaterial Lens Simulation validation

Status
Not open for further replies.

srijan.rio

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I am trying to validate Shreiber et.al. 's paper on Metamaterial lens simulation for microwave NDE (https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sna.2010.12.004).

I have attached the HFSS model I am using for the validation. I am getting the normal transmission after 5.5 GHz, but unable to get the transmission peak at 3 GHz due to evanescent wave propagation.

However, I have used the Smith's parameter retrieval equations (permittivity, permeability and refractive index) and getting resonance as expected around 3GHz. What may be the reason of not getting a transmission peak even though there is an apparent magnetic resonance at that frequency. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• 3 Unit cells.7z
    26.3 KB · Views: 108

Hi srijan.rio,

Looks like a complex problem. Some basic questions:

- Have you tried the 2D case? Can you confirm similar behavior?
- There are 4 unit cells being used in your simulation, not 3, do you expect this to make a difference? Have you tried 3 as in the paper?

Hi ,

I have used 3 cells as in paper, but getting similar transmission response ( i.e. no left handed peak at 3 GHz). Switching to a larger number is supposed to make the lens more effective, hence tried using 4. I might well use a larger number and see if and how it is affecting the response. Thanks for the thought process.

I also haven't tried the 2D structure yet. I will try to simulate that model as well and get back to this thread with what I get.

Hey,

So I tried the two things.

With the 2D structure, I am able to get the left handed transmission peak at 2.8 GHz as described in the paper. (The HFSS model is attached)

However, with the 1D structure, I am still not able to get the peak (using different number of unit cells didn't solve it either).

I have used similar model and boundary conditions for both of them. Any suggestions as to what else might be causing this will be great.

Attachments

• 2D.7z
    33.5 KB · Views: 86

Sorry, there doesn't appear to be anything immediately incorrect that I can spot. You might try setting up a seed mesh to ensure that the SRRs are appropriately meshed in both cases.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back