Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS Lumped Gap Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertfox

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lumped port calibration

HFSS newbie here

I am trying to simulate an Interconnect line test structure mouted on a Silicon substrate. Its basically 2 lines in Parallel and i need to define 2 ports on either side to get the S Parameters. Question is, If I use Lumped Gap source to define the Ports,

How do I Draw the Calibration and Impedance Lines? Can Someone describe how to do it or Does anyone have any Graphical Examples or links?

Thanks

Added after 52 minutes:

I have attached a Drawing of the Structure... it is Top view, and i have labled the Pads a,b,c and d for easy reference... where do the impedance and calibration lines go?

gap source

If you have HFSS_9 you can use a driven terminal solution method.
Go to the **broken link removed** and you'll find many examples in the folder Reviews and News.

lumped ports silicon substrate

Thanks, but i have looked at some of the articles but i couldnt find any description on how to define a port..

I'm using HFSS 8.5 and i believe there is a choice of eigenmode or driven solution.. i chose driven.

So far i have been getting an error message that the port is not defined correctly as the conductors are shorted.. the pictures show how i assigned the T, C and I lines (Terminal, Calibration and Impedance).. can someone comment on this assignment?

hfss coplanar lumped-gap port

Hi,
for your model
I would draw a rectangle between the
terminal a and b and a rectangle between terminal c and d
Select these rectangle and assign lumped port to them.

Draw impedance and calibration lines from the middle of the edge
on terminal a to the middle of the edge on terminal b

Do the same for terminal c and d

You should think to lumped porte as a kind of voltage source
terminal line indicate the points where you attach the terminal of the voltage source

Rugbyfun

number terminal hfss

I wouldn't use lumped source for this configuration. lumped source should occupy tiny space (so that the fields between the two terminals are kind of uniform, so that a voltage can be defined...). The "gap" in your case is too wide. So change to wave port (there is a tutorial somewhere in this forum for coplanar waveguide). If gap source is absolutely required, you should make it a 4 port network, then figure out how to obtain the 2 port s-parameter from your 4 port result.

lumped gap sources hfss

rugbyfun,

i think it works, thanks.. heres another question... if i have a piece of metal over an oxide layer and a substrate, and i want to find the s parameters of the metal (refer to the picture) How do i assign the ports if i use Lumped gap source, now that i dont have a ground? Wave ports wont work because wave ports are not supposed to touch "existing materails" (this structure is enclosed in an AirBox)

lumped ports hfss terminal

Hi,

I have difficulty in understanding the use of the lumped source.Could you guys explain when and how do I use the lumped source? Thanks.

hfss gap source

I think lumped gap source ports are only useful when you need an excitation port inside a structure. If all the ports are defined on the border of the box, you only have to use wave ports.
For your problem, I think wave port with terminal activated is more appropriate. The terminal can be defined between the two lines. I always set calibration and impedance lines using the same coordinates than terminal arrow.
Are these two lines microstip ones with gnd plane under them ?

Added after 8 minutes:

>evoplus
To understand lumped gap source ports, try reading this file. It explains how to define ports in HFSS 8.5
(It comes from HFSS CDROM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back