Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS Incident Plane Wave and source scaling factor

Status
Not open for further replies.

gultepee

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I want to simulate an antenna as a receiver using HFSS. I add an incident plane wave excitation and a lumped port to my system.

I edited the scaling factors as

incident wave -> 1
lumped port -> 0.

Is this a good way to simulate a receiving antenna? And also, is "radar cross section" is a good method understand how good the antenna is?

Thanks,

Added after 4 hours 34 minutes:

I learned that scaling the sources is not a bad way to simulate a receiving antenna.

And, instead of "radar cross section", calculating absorbed power at lumped port is the correct way.

If you have any suggestions on how to calculate absorbed power at the port by using field calculator, please write.

Thanks,

The way to calculate power absorbed by the port through fields calculators:

Select Quantity: Surface Loss Density
Select Geometry: Surface - Port abject
Integrate
Evaluate

I have encountered a problem while calculating the power loss.

When the incident E-field is in parallel with the lumped port's integration line, I get a good peak at the frequency which is where the S11 is minimum.

However, when the incident E-field is not parallel with the line than the power loss is kind of linear but orders of magnitude bigger than the first case,

I am completely confused about the results. If anyone has any explanations or reading material, I'd be grateful.

Hi,

I want to simulate an antenna as a receiver using HFSS. I add an incident plane wave excitation and a lumped port to my system.

I edited the scaling factors as

incident wave -> 1
lumped port -> 0.

Is this a good way to simulate a receiving antenna? And also, is "radar cross section" is a good method understand how good the antenna is?

Thanks,

Added after 4 hours 34 minutes:

I learned that scaling the sources is not a bad way to simulate a receiving antenna.

And, instead of "radar cross section", calculating absorbed power at lumped port is the correct way.

If you have any suggestions on how to calculate absorbed power at the port by using field calculator, please write.

Thanks,
Would you please tell me how can i use incident wave???

Incident wave is setup in excitations (right click to assign, then go to incident wave and you can select several different types). The thread is about using some sort of external far-field excitation to excite an antenna and use a port to absorb the radiation, I think you could probably look in another thread to get a better idea how to setup the angle of incidence, power, etc.

Would you please tell me how can i use incident wave???

- - - Updated - - -

This is sort of an old thread, but the only one that I could find that is related to what I am trying to do right now actually. So, I resurrected it along with the gentlemen above.

I have a plane wave exciting a microstrip patch antenna on a dielectric and ground plane. A wave port is being used in my case and i am just trying size it correctly to absorb all of the wave with some seriously mixed results. The Complex magE (in the z-direction) is showing stray amplitude on the corners of the simulation where there is only dielectic and so it seems the wave port is not absorbing all of the wave coming from the microstrip.

1.)I am not sure how to calculate the power that is being absorbed by the port (wave port in my case). I am not sure, but I don't think the s-parameters are meaningful here because you are not using your port to excite the structure (only to absorb it). I will try what you suggest above though.

2.) is there a better way to characterize the performance of a wave port for ABSORBING wave created by far-field excitation...? I have a parametric sweep of the wave port size in my simulation and so I can easily change that and see a difference in what happens with the wave. Basically, I would like to make a rectangular plot of some value (Power absorbed) vs. dimensions of the wave port.

-tuckerberg

I have encountered a problem while calculating the power loss.

When the incident E-field is in parallel with the lumped port's integration line, I get a good peak at the frequency which is where the S11 is minimum.

However, when the incident E-field is not parallel with the line than the power loss is kind of linear but orders of magnitude bigger than the first case,

I am completely confused about the results. If anyone has any explanations or reading material, I'd be grateful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back