Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS Field Calculator - 2D plot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daniel_G

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear all,

I'm trying to calculate the impedance along a line as described in the field calculator cook book (rev 091300). In the output section in HFSS v13 I can only find:
Value
Eval
Write...
Export...

In the cook book there are also the buttons
Draw
Plot
Anim
2D Plot

I already typed the expression to calculate the impdance and I have chosen the Line as a Geometry to plot along. I'm missing the 2D Plot button. Where can I find it?

Can someone alternatively provide the newest version of the cook book, since I can't find it in my onlinehelp directory :-(

Best regards and many thanks in advance!
Daniel

Now I just found a way to get (at least) something!
I stored the expression to calculate the impedance as a named expression in the field calculator without defining the geometry.
I created a line element and marked it. Than I did a right click on Field Overlays and picked "Plot Fields --> Named Expression". I can now see some impedance distribution along the line which is defined to lay inside a microstrip. It only shows something if i select my substrate in the "In Volume" window. There is nothing displayed if I choose my metal layer (microstrip) as "Im Volume", which is quite strange to me.
Furthermore the impedance along line (microstrip) changes a lot between <10ohm and >1000ohm periodically.

Can someone explain what I see here and how to interpret it?

Thank you in advance!
Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back