Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS - exciting higher order modes in waveguide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouk Teef

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,

This one has me stumped!:?:

I would simply like to excite the TE20 mode within an X-band waveguide using waveports. I have been playing about with the integration lines but cannot get any field pattern other than the fundemental TE10 mode to propagate. It goes without saying but I am exciting the waveguide well above the cutoff of the TE20 mode.

Also, how would one go about exciting a higher order TM mode rather than the TE mode. Again, I have been playing about with the ports but I am lost:!::!:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Keith

Hi !
You need to define more number of modes in the waveguide port
or to use proper boundary (symmetry) conditions - combination of perfect H and perfect E

navuho said:
Hi !
You need to define more number of modes in the waveguide port
or to use proper boundary (symmetry) conditions - combination of perfect H and perfect E

Thanks for the reply.

I have already tried this but with no success. I am obviously doing something wrong somewhere!

Could you provide more detail?

regards

Keith

when u set up waveport, u must choose Number of Modes, where default value is 1. After simulation finished, you can check excited mode field distribution from Port Field Display. Then go to Field Overlays--> Edit Source, you can choose which mode you want excite, and you can assign both amplitude and phase for excited mode.

Regards,

asdfaaa said:
when u set up waveport, u must choose Number of Modes, where default value is 1. After simulation finished, you can check excited mode field distribution from Port Field Display. Then go to Field Overlays--> Edit Source, you can choose which mode you want excite, and you can assign both amplitude and phase for excited mode.

Regards,

Many thanks!!

Bouk Teef said:
Hi all,

This one has me stumped!:?:

I would simply like to excite the TE20 mode within an X-band waveguide using waveports. I have been playing about with the integration lines but cannot get any field pattern other than the fundemental TE10 mode to propagate. It goes without saying but I am exciting the waveguide well above the cutoff of the TE20 mode.

Also, how would one go about exciting a higher order TM mode rather than the TE mode. Again, I have been playing about with the ports but I am lost:!::!:

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Regards

Keith

You need to go to high enough frequency to reach the cut-off freq according to the size of the waveport:
fc (TE20)= c/(a√εr)
where a is the width of the waveport. So you must go beyond the fc (f>fc).
Also, you must increase the number of mode in the settings.

Let me know if it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back