Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS: Error in meshing cylindrical rings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meta_J

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,

This is my first post on the website even though I have been on it for over 2 months and I have found everyone's responses very useful in understanding the workings of HFSS.

Currently, I am having an issue with meshing of a large structure. The structure consists of concentric cylindrical rings of varying material parameters. Inside the inner most ring is a simple lumped port fed full wave dipole antenna operating at 2.4GHz. The rings are to introduce novel results in the far and near field. My issue is that the meshing goes insane in the mainframe on me and does surface repair on the rings and the end result of initial meshing is that it is not symmetric about the cylinder axis, and it over meshes.

In order to isolate the problem I ran a series of test to see what causes the meshing to go all wrong. When the design only contains the rings the meshing is fine. When it contains a cylinder(acting as antenna) of same height as rings and no gaps(no source gap and no gaps on top and bottom) then there is no problem with mesh. When you introduce any gaps at the top/bottom or a gap in the middle for the source the meshing goes into surface repair and tries to assign about 400+ tets to this structure.

I realize it is a large structure but I would really like to do this simulation in HFSS since this design is based on results from HFSS. I uploaded the file, try to applying mesh operations and see what happens. Thanks everyone for sticking with me on this long post.

Cheers,

Meta_J[/b]

edit: I deleted the attachment since no interest was shown. If anyone wants to try to solve the problem I will e-mail it to you.

Any takers? I did some more sleuthing and found that by exploiting symmetry I can reduce the problem size by cutting the rings in half and placing an PMC on that surface. Doing so removes the meshing error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back