Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HFSS 11 and Windows XP 64-bit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zangetsu57

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss vista

Hello everyone,

I recently got a new computer with a Q6600 (Quad core2duo) and 4GB of ram. I have Windows XP Professional 64-bit installed. It is my understanding that HFSS 11 auto-detects whether or not you have a 64-bit OS and CPU. When I run HFSS, however, it has HFSS.exe*32 under processes in the taskbar, indicating HFSS is running as a 32-bit application. Does this mean I am still limited to the 32-bit RAM limit of about 3.3GB? Perhaps it can still address all 4GB of memory, but parts are 32bit?

I bought this PC so I can get upgrade to 8GB of ram if necessary, but if HFSS 11 can't use it and is still running in 32-bit mode, the extra memory is useless. Do I need to do something special to install the 64-bit version?

If it helps, I DID complete a simulation (passed through krylov vectors and completed fully) with about 114k tetrahedra. I think the 32bit limit is somewhere around 70k-96k tetrahedra, so is it possible that HFSS is running correctly?

I will note that I am still somewhat new to HFSS, and have been using for about 4 months. Thanks for any help!

-Paul

hfss 64

I think you are OK. I'm running under Vista-64 and using > 4GB RAM. hfss.exe *32 is just the GUI. The solvers run separately and you will see them when sorting your windows process list by CPU or Memory. However you must tell HFSS to use multiple cores (CPUs) by going to tools/option/hfss_option/solver. For example if you choose 7 CPUs it will run the mcs7.exe solver. I just finished up a log-periodic design that converged to 515k tets with 14.8 GB. I'm running dual, quad-core XEONs with 16 GB RAM.

hfss 64 bit

Thanks for the information, it is good to know that I am taking full advantage of 640bit memory address space.

On another note, is it possible to do distributed computing with HFSS 11 over several PC's on a network (not a beowulf cluster)?

hfss vista 64

Yes, but you have to purchase more HFSS engines and possibly an extra license feature. My guess is that it will allow distributed optimization runs and discrete frequency sweeps. Both of those are very easy to distribute. I don't know it can distribute the initial mesh solve or fast frequency sweep.

hfss 64bit

On a slightly different note, have you tried using HFSS 11 on Vista 64 bit?

:D

hfss 11 license

Me or the original poster? Yes, I am running it on Vista-64. You have to run the installer under "XP emulation" to force it to install.

Zangetsu57

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
hfss 11 windows 7

Do you have an evaluation license or similar for HFSS 11?

hfss remote desktop

No, I (my company) own a license.

hfss 11 for vista

I know it is a bit dated, but thank you very much for letting me know that you can indeed run HFSS 11 in Vista 64-bit. It saves a HUGE dual-booting hassle, and makes remote desktop easier since Vista 64-bit is my primary OS.

hfss ram limit

Hi all.. I need your help. How can i install HFSS 11 on the windows vista? what file do i require to do so.. While installing that i got a messege that HFSS 11 is compatible with XP 32 bit, XP 64 bit or lower.. Please help me.

how to run hfss 11 on vista

See

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back