Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with wiring a voltage regulator

Status
Not open for further replies.
GhettoBSD said:
I'm having trouble matching up D1 (C). Not sure if it's a a Zener or Schottky type diode.
Why not look at its datasheet?
It shows that it is a 1A schottky diode.

The entire circuit has a max of only 1A. Is it enough to power the camera plus the IR LEDs?

GhettoBSD

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
The shown circuit is more or less an manufacturers application circuit and supposed to work. You get more information, if required at all, in the datasheets and application notes, available at www.national.com.

Regarding grounding, it's usually not recommended to ground individual circuit parts to the enclosure, because this carries switching noise (e.g. disturbing AM radio receivers) to the outside. The better way is to interconnect the ground pins of the core switcher circuit (Cin, Cout, D1 and LM25xx ground) as short as possible and have a common grounding to the enclosure. But it's not really critical in the present circuit, I think.

L1 is simply a part designator. Usually all parts in a schematic are numbered for better identification, Cin and Cout would be usually C1 and C2. Apart from the given inductance (330 uH), L1 must have a current rating according to the intended output current (or higher). It should be kept to avoid overheating.

GhettoBSD

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Ok thank you very much.

So Now I know what to get and how to "wire it." This is what I think it'll be https://ghettobsd.org/misc/LM2575-color2.jpg

So a few more questions, where to get it at? Over at national it shows some of the parts i need are out of stock. Digikey as well. And then for the lm2575 it shows it has options like NOPD or NOPD STD. Whats the difference? I also saw somewhere but can't find it again a PCB for this project. Could you point me in the right direction?

So where can I get all this great stuff! Can't wait to built it.

Thank you!

Ok So I was able to find most parts on Digi-key to try 2 different set ups (according to the useful applications section of the lm2575). But I am having trouble finding the capacitors needed. This is what I have on order so far:

Index Quantity Part Number Description Customer Reference Backorder Quantity Unit Price
USD Extended Price
USD
1 2 LM2575T-5.0/NOPB IC REG SIMPLE SWITCHER TO-220-5 0 3.01000 $6.02
2 2 P834-ND 47UF 25V MINI ALUM ELECT (KA) 0 0.15000 $0.30
3 2 1N5818DICT-ND DIODE SCHOTTKY 30V 1A DO-41 0 0.42000 $0.84
4 2 1N5819DICT-ND DIODE SCHOTTKY 40V 1A DO-41 0 0.42000 $0.84
5 2 DN7733-ND INDUCTOR 330UH POWER AXIAL 0 2.98000 $5.96

So what I'm not sure about are here:

For the 47 uf 25v capacitors, i've found are between these values: 260.0 mOhm to 4.94 Ohm
Which is appropriate?

And then for the 100 uf 75v capacitors i've only found 63 or 80 v, which of those would be better? And then what ohm value?

Thank you again!

63 or 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back