Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with time delay using D f-f

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngeow

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Help with time delay

Hi guys,is there anyway I could get time delay using D Flip flops?I've tried googling it but all I get is info. on 555 IC timers.

Re: Help with time delay

A flip flop will divide by 2, so you will not get the same output as the input.

You could try some simple CMOS gates, like a hex inverter. Every 2 gates you add in series will give you two gate delays, and the same output as the input. If you need more time delay, you can use a series R/shunt C to form a lowpass filter inbetween two gates that will slow down the waveform.

There are actual digital "delay line" chips available with a fixed time delay.

Re: Help with time delay

mngeow said:
Hi guys,is there anyway I could get time delay using D Flip flops?I've tried googling it but all I get is info. on 555 IC timers.

What sort of time delay do you want (1mS, 1 min...)?

Hi i'm looking for a 5sec time delay,would it be too much trouble if you could send me a diagram as well?It'll be easier for me to follow.Thanks alot! :D

the first thing i'm thinkin of is a shift register. You put n flip flops with Q connected with D, all with the same clock. The datum will be available at the end of the cascade after n*Tck seconds. However, if u have fast clock, the number of flip flops will rapidly increase. Maybe there are better solutions.

If you have only D-FFs, build so long chain of they as you have an (every D-ff divide by 2) divided F-Clock to Fclk=1/5sec!
Do you have "so much" FFs in your system?
K.

5 seconds! that is an eternity.

What exactly are you trying to delay by 5 seconds? Something like a switch closing, or something like streaming audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.