Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with PCB manufacturing and testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

shashankbr

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello people,

I recently got 20 PCBs designed manufactured from a professional manufacturer.

After few weeks, I have discovered that the footprint of one of the component is wrong in the PCB.
i.e. a relay has its pins reversed.

It was the designers mistake because, the foot print is given in relay datasheet and under that it is clearly written
"viewed from terminal side"
The designer did not take care of this view and reversed the relay pins.
Now all the PCBs are useless.

When I contacted the guy, he told me that he will rectify it but he is again asking me to pay for manufacturing.
But as the error is completely from his side, I am not going to pay.

I want your suggestions on what I can do?
Because I am sure that nobody tests footprints on manufactured PCB boards.

Please help

It would depends on the terms of the contract but it is normal that terms and conditions exclude 'consequential damages' i.e. the fault would be rectified but the cost of making more PCBs wouldn't. One of the reasons for T&Cs being that way is that consequential losses can far outweigh the payment for the original work. That is why it is worthwhile getting one PCB, prototype, made first. If you are in a rush and want 20 without a prototype then that is the risk you take.

Keith

I am in no rush.
But the manufacturer says that cost for 20 pcbs is the same as 5 or 10 pcbs.
Its a 4 layer board.

thats why he insisted on 20nos.

The design engineer should do the redesign for free, but I don't think it's reasonable to insist that he pay for the manufacturing costs. It's basically telling him "you messed up, so give me money." That's something that would have to be established in the contract beforehand, like about him being liable for losses due to his mistakes.

Hi Dear,

Designer's Mistake!!!!!

Is it possible for you to design another small PCB as Adapter ? I mean there will Holes/Pads with correct land pattern on which you will install the relay on Top side, and these holes/pads are routed to bottom where the some more holes and pads will connect to the wrong relay pattern on the OLD PCB.

If this is possible, you will save time and money both. Obviously you will have to pay but not as much as compare to the whole batch re-manufacturing.

Regards,
Maqbool

Hello people,

I recently got 20 PCBs designed manufactured from a professional manufacturer.

After few weeks, I have discovered that the footprint of one of the component is wrong in the PCB.
i.e. a relay has its pins reversed.

It was the designers mistake because, the foot print is given in relay datasheet and under that it is clearly written
"viewed from terminal side"
The designer did not take care of this view and reversed the relay pins.
Now all the PCBs are useless.

When I contacted the guy, he told me that he will rectify it but he is again asking me to pay for manufacturing.
But as the error is completely from his side, I am not going to pay.

I want your suggestions on what I can do?
Because I am sure that nobody tests footprints on manufactured PCB boards.

Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back