Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Length Measurement Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviator91

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I have a need to build a device which will count (mm, cm or Meters) length of line or cotton coming off a reel.

I am assuming that I can use a microcontroller for this project??

The idea is that the string is stripped off the reel using a small DC motor. As the string is stripped off this reel, a sensor circuit would count the revolutions of the pinch roller mounted on the DC motor and use the PIC16FXX to convert this signal into a measurement on a small LCD screen.

As this is still a concept, I was hopeful that maybe someone might give me a good starting point or point me to a similar design which has already been posted.

Appreciate any input on this project.[/b]

HI

Using the PIC count the number of revolutions dubel it by 2*PI*R and you have the length

were R is the radius of the reel

Or you can measure the reel perimeter and doubel it by the number of count you get

All the best

Bobi

Status
Not open for further replies.