Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with designing counters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollgam

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
One more problem that I can't figure out about counters. I hope you'll be able to help! Thanks in advance.

I need to design 2 counters:

- a 2-bit counter that counts 2, 1, 0, 2, 1, 0 … (If the counter happens to be in state 3 in the beginning, it must first go to zero: 3, 0, 2, 1, 0, 2, 1, 0 …)

- a 3-bit counter that counts 7, 5, 1, 0, 7, 5, 1, 0 … (If the counter happens to be in state 2, 3, 4 or 6 in the beginning, it must first go to zero, e.g.: 2, 0, 7, 5, 1, 0, 7, 5, 1, 0 …)

I would appreciate it really a lot if you could explain me how to solve this.

Thanks for your reply! We are studying just basics and we've covered D, J-K flips flops before counters and I think these and simple things like AND, NOR etc. are the only components that we are allowed to use.

The straighforward way to solve these problems is to constrocct a truth table showing the current state and desired next state of the counter. From the current state you develop the equation (in terms of the current state) for the input(s) to each stage required to produce the correct next state.

I suggest you to read one of the following book( whichever is available):

1. Fundamentals of Digital circuit by Anand Kumar >>> prefer this one if possible
2. Modern Digital Electronics by R.P. Jain
3. Digital Electronic by R.K Gaur

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back