Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with C tables and pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.

m_t_blind

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When we have a 1-dimension table, for example
char m[2],
the name of the table m is a char type pointer to the first element of the table.ok.
When we have a multi-dimension table, example
char m2[10][2],
i found that the name is't a valid pointer, and i use &m[0][0] for this.
(This on the IAR compiler for msp)

1.My first question is that this is right for general in C, or simply apears on the specific compiler ?

2.And my next question is (for the table m2):
The pointer *(&m2[0][0] + 10) points the m2[0][2]?
If no why?

Hi m_t_blind,
checkout my explanation:

char m2[10][2]
Let's take the underlined part to be the "name" of an array. Then prepending the char and appending the [2] we have an array of 10 characters. But, the name m2[10] is itself an array indicating that there are 10 elements each being an array of 2 characters. Hence we have an array of 10 arrays of 2 characters each.

*(&m2[0][0] + 10) points the m2[0][2] is wrong.
it points to m2[5][0].
this is becuase, when you say &m2[0][0] actually it takes the address of the first element. & when you ADD 10 to this, it will add 10*sizeof(char) to that address. So finally it pionts to m2[5][0].

(sorry for that mistake.. thanks silvio)

cheers...

m_t_blind

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
m_t_blind said:
1.My first question is that this is right for general in C, or simply apears on the specific compiler ?

It's ANSI C.

sinu_gowde said:
it will add 10*sizeof(int) to that address

it will add 10*sizeof(char) to that address

sinu_gowde said:
So finally it points to m2[5][0].

Correct.

Two_dimmensional arrays are stored in a row-column matrix, where the left index indicates the row and the right indicates the column. This means that the rightmost index changes faster than the leftmost when accessing the elements in the array in the order in which are actually stored in memory.

m_t_blind

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I think you need to understand the basic of array and pointers... when u say m[10].. not matter if its declared char or int or double.. you are just allocationg a chunk of memory and which u have name.. and m[0] will be the first element of array.. and whenever u need to declare and pointer they are explicitly declare such as int * point, etc..

as far i knw c... just study the basic of C array and pointers.. u will be fine.. pointer is very powerful u can crash system with it !:idea:

if u need online c book i arleady upload it on rapidshare.. here is the link

h**p://rapidshare.de/files/12360722/C-K_R-Material.pdf.html

yeap.. that ur sayin is rite.. there is no concept of 2D array in C.. what is it is you can have multi dimensional array and more over they way in which elements are arranged in the memory is in the form of a single slot.. as you guys know.. (under turbo C) integer takes up 2 bytes and character takes 1 byte..each memory slot is allocated with 2 bytes of memory / 1 byte for character and *(&a[0][0]+10) is equal to *( first memory allocation + 10 places which is 1 byte each) so finally de-references it and prints it..

with regards,
arun

ok thank you all, ( and sorry for the mistake of m2[0][2] whitch doesn't exist, i mean m2[0][1] )

I want to create a char array and want to call messages like this:
message[0]---> for first message
messsage[1] ---> second message and so on...
How can i do that?

You want to creat array of pointers which point at Array of char... u can see by follwoing diagrams...

Can you write an example code please?

Status
Not open for further replies.