Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help with behavioral cache verilog coding

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepa1206

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help with verilog coding

Need some help with Verilog coding

Hi

I am trying to code a behavioral cache design in Verilog, since I am familiar with C , I end up coding in the same style and i am stuck:

This is what I am trying to do:

My cache has 4 WAYS, I am checking the TAG bits and the VALID bits in a particular CACHE LINE in in all the 4 WAYS( which I am checking in a for loop). and I am trying to find out which WAY has a HIT.(when TAG matches and VALID=`VALID), can anyone tell me what is wrong with the following code? I get an error in ModelSIM- "Illegal reference to net HitWay "
PLease help.

module HitSignalGenerator(TagSelectInput,LineSelectInput,RW,HitWay,RW_HM);

input [`NUM_TAG_BITS-1:0] TagSelectInput;
input [`LINE_SELECT-1:0] LineSelectInput;
input RW;
output [`WAY_SELECT-1:0] HitWay;
output [`RW_HM_SELECT-1:0] RW_HM;

reg [`WAY_SELECT-1:0] i;

always@(TagSelectInput,LineSelectInput,RW) begin

for(i=0;i<`NUM_OF_WAYS;i=i+1) begin
if( (L2_Cache.TagRAM[LineSelectInput] == TagSelectInput) && (L2_Cache.ValidRAM[LineSelectInput] == `VALID) ) begin
HitWay = i;
end
end

end
endmodule;

Re: help with verilog coding

Hi,

HitWay is inside always has to be declared as a reg.

add this line before always and it should compile fine.
reg [`WAY_SELECT -1:0] HitWay;

By the way endmodule should not have semicolon either.

Re: help with verilog coding

Thank you kochirojave.

Is it possible to write the above code using only wires? If yes, how can I replace the for /if statements?

Also how does the register "i" in the code get synthesized? Will it be a counter? If yes, when does it get incremented since I dont have a clock?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back