Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help with Apple Newton 2100 PCB Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuk

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i could use someones help with a board that i am designing. The background is that its using the FTDI USB to RS232 serial adapter chip to allow serial communication. The board actually is for an Apple Netwon 2100. it takes the interconnect port and routes all teh functions so that they are usable including audio in/out, serial connectivity and charging. the serial connectivity works but the usb connectivity does not work. I dont know whats wrong and im hoping someone with some experience can help. I am willing to pay for a working solution.

The specifications I've seen tell for the device: USB not supported. Do you know for sure that this information isn't correct?

hej, well the newton was created in 1999, before usb but this ftdi chipset does work to convert an rs232 signal into usb. it will work if you have the chip connected right, another developer made a simple usb to serial adapter (not taking advantage of all the other outputs on the interconnect port) that was selling some time ago. it was on a site called www.notwen.com which is off now but you can look at an old copy on archive.org.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back