Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_M

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am attempting to design a wide-band current source that can pass a 20 Mhz PAM signal nearly un-distorted into a string of LEDs. The catch is that I need it to swing from 0 to 1amp to power the Luxeon Rebel brand of LED's.

The circuit I have so far is attached. It is a line driver configured as a Widlar current source with a bias tee.

The device I am using is the OPA2674 DSL Line Driver. It is capable to delivering +/- 500 mA to a 50 Ohm load, and +/- 800 mA to a short circuit load, and has a 200+ MHz gain-bandwidth. This part for sure gives me the 1 Amp swing I need, but it's bi-polar, hence the bias tee.

The issue I am having is understanding the OPA2674's data sheet. It states it has a maximum supply current of 18mA, however if the device is driving +/- 500 mA into the load at +/- 4V (as the data sheet claims), that current has to come from somewhere, and must go through the device itself. So, is this "18mA" only when the device is unloaded?

I ask this because clearly when I probe the supply lines in LTSPICE, they average current being forced through them is +/-250mA for a periodic input, which far exceeds the 18mA max. Aside from this power issue, the circuit works wonders, but I am wondering if its too good to be true.

Attachments

• WideBand_LED_Driver.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 140

Supply current is stated for no load condition as You presumed.

Reactions: Eric_M

Eric_M

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
A bipolar amplifier has no problems to source an unipolar current, if used in a suitable circuit. The bias tee isn't actually necessary.

Thanks for the help, the amount of current drawn makes sense now. I suppose once I properly heat sink this thing in practice all should go well.

Also, I failed to mention that each LED has a forward voltage of ~ 3V, so I think I need the bias tee for headroom reasons. Does anyone see any potential issues I could have doing this? Without it I would have 1 line driver to 1 LED which is not practical in my case.

My goal is to modulate an LED light bulb (5 to 10 LEDs) with no more than 2 line-drivers.

AC coupling is O.K. for constant modulation respectively DC balanced modulation signal, but it will cause varying offset with any kind of variable modulation signal average.

I see that the OP won't be able to drive the average 1A LED current, so direct DC coupling won't be an option for OP2674.

Reactions: Eric_M

Eric_M

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@ FvM

Thank you for the advice. Luckily for me, the standard I am working off uses Manchester Coding =)

Additionally, I will also be using this for testing an OFDM scheme. However, I assume if I choose the capacitance properly, the DC drift will not be an issue as long as it doesn't change drastically during 1 OFDM symbol.

Status
Not open for further replies.