Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help to get relay for the switching 200kv

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsiva04

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i need relay which will handle minimum 200kv(DC) 350mA while running

Uh, there are no relays that will handle that (nothing like a conventional relay, anyways). For reference, this is what switching off 500KVdc looks like: YouTube - Jacob's Ladder: 500kV Switch Opening

Your looking at something extremely expensive, large, and dangerous.

They do make relays to do this. They are 20 feet tall, and have pressurerized air to make/break the contact quickly. You need to find a power engineering board and ask there.

Highest voltage rating relay I've ever seen was 15KV. Was something like three inches long, as I recall.

What are you doing with 200KV at 350ma?

tanks..actually i'm working with x-ray generator automation,so i have to switch around 200kv 350mA from x ray machine to load for testing.For that switching purpose only i need relay...one more thing is at the time of switching 200kv is not there in the line after the switching 200kv should pass through that...suggest me...

Have you considered any of the common VCBs (Vacuum Circuit Breaker) ? This is exactly what they are designed to do.
There are several global suppliers of VCBs who offer devices with a wide range of voltages and currents.

If you need an alternative solution, then I'm sure you can buy a used (scrap) VCB or Air-blast CB from some expired power station, engineerng production factory or railway locomotive; they have been very common in industry, and so are now very common in metal scrapyards.

In the UK only the super grid uses this sort of high voltage. Power stations generate at 22KV and step it up to 33/66/132 KV for ordinary grid transmission. The current capacity is of course rather higher then 350mA(50A?). I would get some sketches of a commercial HV switcher and re-design it for your lower currents, because it will make the mechanicals easier to make albeit still of a large size.
Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.