Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required to find fifo depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Sir,

I need to be find fifo depth for this below requirement .

writing frequency -- 32MHZ

reading frequency -- 5Mhz

Data rate is 1 byte.

So what is the fifo depth required for this fifo working properly?

Kindly help me to find this ..

Is this data rate on the write side or the read side?

There are (at least) two possible answers:

- write is performed in bursts, then the FIFO must be dimensioned according to burst size
- write is continuous, then a FIFO of any size will overflow

What is the "1 byte" specification meaned to say? A rate presumes that at least two bytes are written with a frequency of xx MHz. A contradiction in terms.

You need to give clear specs. Rate cannot be in terms of bytes. It has be bytes/cycle or something like that. Moreover if the rate is the same on write as well as read side..no FIFO in the world can help you..

Moreover if the rate is the same on write as well as read side..no FIFO in the world can help you..

If a rate is described as bytes/sec then if the write and read side have identical rates then a properly sized FIFO will never overflow.

I disagree that bytes/cycle is equivalent to a rate.

If a rate is described as bytes/sec then if the write and read side have identical rates then a properly sized FIFO will never overflow.

Well, I made the above statement because his write side freq is higher than his read(1st post) and considering his rate of "1 byte" on both sides of the fifo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back