Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help required in creating Pcb/Breakout Board for At91SAM9G45-324TFBGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

tushki7

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Greetings,
Recently i purchased AT91SAM9G45 and i want to make a pcb board or say breakout board to use it.
I am new in pcb designing, So i need your help.
AT91SAM9G45-CU package : 324-ball TFBGA.
How can i create pcb for such microcontroller? Is it possible to create it on single sided pcb?

Please Help!!!
Thank you.

Last edited:

Wow - good luck!

Single sided, not a chance. Likewise double sided.

Are you going to have the board made for you, including component placement, or are you intending to make it yourself?

If making a break out board you will have over 30 inches length in 0.1" header pins to place.

I would guess that at least a 4-layer board would be needed, and that probably won't allow proper ground and power planes that might be needed.

Or, you could do this:

deadbug.jpg

Although that is only a third of the size of yours.

Reactions: tushki7

tushki7

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Wow - good luck!

Single sided, not a chance. Likewise double sided.

Are you going to have the board made for you, including component placement, or are you intending to make it yourself?

If making a break out board you will have over 30 inches length in 0.1" header pins to place.

I would guess that at least a 4-layer board would be needed, and that probably won't allow proper ground and power planes that might be needed.

Or, you could do this:

View attachment 81660

Although that is only a third of the size of yours.

Thanks for the luck.
Yes I want to make it myself but if there are some kind of cheap breakout board available I don't mind to using it.
Yes Direct soldering is going to be my last option.

Looking Forward for some more replies..

Thank you.

Ditto on the luck.

Besides the complexities of fabricating a multilayer PCB, have you considered both the experience and equipment required to properly solder a BGA?

You might be better off saving your money and other resources and just purchasing a minimal development board.

BigDog

tushki7

Thanks bigdogguru.
I am thinking of only creating pcb for this MCU and then i will hand over it to some expert (for soldering).
Now I think I should solder them directly as in image posted by FoxyRick. It would take a lot of time and patience but i think i can do it as i already have soldered many nokia lcd's directly w/o connectors.
I googled many development boards but they are very costly.

If someone has better Idea please share it!!!

Thank you.

If you really want to maximize your success rate, I would recommend taking an existing
reference design like the Atmel AT91SAM9G45-EKES or AT91SAM9M10-G45-EK
and pay to have the board fabricated from the provided design files and have the device professionally soldered:

AT91SAM9G45-EKES User Guide

AT91SAM9M10-G45-EK User Guide

AT91SAM9M10-G45-EK Design & Manufacturing Files

AT91SAM9M10-G45-EK Design & Manufacturing Files Information

By the way, is the AT91SAM9G45 a release version or engineering sample?

Beware of purchasing engineering samples.

BigDog

tushki7

BigDog has the right idea. I've done some crazy things as a hobbyist over the years and have developed quite good patience and concentration. There was a time, long ago, that I made my own soldering tip from a needle to solder tiny parts and would abstain from caffeine for three days before a serious soldering stint through a binocular microscope. That was before BGA packages became common.

Even I would not attempt a 324 pin BGA with such methods though. It is not impossible, but is it really worth the time, effort, and chance of failure after all that effort?

Have you seen this page: **broken link removed**

That is cheaper than you could even get a bare 4-layer board made, at the cheapest prices I can find.

However, if you do decide to improvise a solution and get it working, I would be very interested to see your work!

tushki7

Well before you attempt anything, you need to make sure the device doesn't have the following markings:

It it does, send/take it back to the seller and demand a full refund.

BigDog

tushki7

Thank you FoxyRick and bigdogguru
Actually I have ordered it and still waiting for the mcu. So when I will get the mcu I'll surely check the version of mcu (CU-ES.) Here is the link of the product : https://shopping.kitsnspares.com/bon1/productdescription.asp?id=244749
I can't buy these development boards because they are costly, at the same price I can buy a smartphone and use its arm processor(memory,lcd etc. etc.) for development. :lol:
Honestly I want to make it all myself, Doesn't matter if it gets burn; I want to do every small and silly mistake because i want to learn it all the way. 8-O
But i am considering your good opinion big. Now I need to find such shops in india to get this pcb job done.
Thank you big. for this " AT91SAM9M10-G45-EK Design & Manufacturing Files ". I was really looking for this file.
Thank you both for such valuable information.
Have a good day.

Last edited:

If I'm reading correctly the mcu has cost you 1184 rupee, about €17 (+shipping extra)

I wonder how much more you will pay to manufacture a 4 layer pcb (or more) and have someone solder the chip not to mention the cost of failed
attempt.
I strongly doubt that a bare dev board would cost more , don't compare it with versions that have all kind of peripherals like LCD . Ethernet etc etc.

I hope you don't compare the price of what you are trying to make with a board like the following because then you have to take into account the cost of all the components on the board.
**broken link removed**

What ever you attempt to do would cost less is a mass production.

If I'm reading correctly the mcu has cost you 1184 rupee, about €17 (+shipping extra)

I wonder how much more you will pay to manufacture a 4 layer pcb (or more) and have someone solder the chip not to mention the cost of failed
attempt.
I strongly doubt that a bare dev board would cost more , don't compare it with versions that have all kind of peripherals like LCD . Ethernet etc etc.

I hope you don't compare the price of what you are trying to make with a board like the following because then you have to take into account the cost of all the components on the board.
**broken link removed**

What ever you attempt to do would cost less is a mass production.

Actually it cost me Rs1400 with shipping. Ok consider basic at91sam9g45 cpu module its cost is about $79+shipping $40 = $119 around Rs 6000.
Now i got samsung nand flash from my broken mp3 player and sdram from my old modem.Now i have to pay only for printed pcb. So max. Cost estimate will b ~Rs2000.
And the Development kit in image costs about Rs18900.
I know you all guyz have good point and i respect that but i believe i can achieve same success while keeping it cheap.

Last edited:

Greetings, :)
Finally I received AT91SAM9G45-CU and was not expecting it to be so small(1.5 x 1.5 cm).
**broken link removed** **broken link removed**

@bigdogguru- There is no marking that suggests it is an Engineering sample(EU) : AT91SAM9G45-CU. So they send me the correct Product I guess.

To my surprise MCU is very small, So I had to drop some other ideas for creating its Breakout board. I got one more idea but I need help!
From where can I Buy:
Copper Foil sheet in India?
OR
Copper tape in India?

Thank You.
Have a Nice day!!!

Greetings, :)
Finally I received AT91SAM9G45-CU and was not expecting it to be so small(1.5 x 1.5 cm).
**broken link removed** **broken link removed**

@bigdogguru- There is no marking that suggests it is an Engineering sample(EU) : AT91SAM9G45-CU. So they send me the correct Product I guess.

To my surprise MCU is very small, So I had to drop some other ideas for creating its Breakout board. I got one more idea but I need help!
From where can I Buy:
Copper Foil sheet in India?
OR
Copper tape in India?

Thank You.
Have a Nice day!!!

This may indeed be an old thread, but if you still want to get a VERY cheap solution, look at this:
https://www.proto-advantage.com/sto..._id=4000002&osCsid=84mq5346loqp8lvvtp6k1m1bk3
and also this one:
https://www.proto-advantage.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=4100002
for $40 you get your pre-fabricated 324 ball "break-out board".

All that is left is for you to get some solder paste costing anything from $3 (the stencil in the second link would also be nice) to solder bake your AT91SAM9G45.

Status
Not open for further replies.