Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Help repairing a Sony Trinitron XBR KV-27XBR51 CRT TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyV

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone,

I am trying to find someone with CRT Tube TV repair knowledge to give me advice. I'll just preface this by saying, please, do not tell me to throw it and buy an LCD TV lol, I have a very nice HDTV already. I enjoy retro-gaming on vintage console and CRT TV are the best for that kind of old system and that is why I have this CRT TV around. It is actually a really nice set and was working super until I tried to power it on today. When I press the power button, I can hear the typical tube firing up and hear the classic CRT static coming, but screen remain black and the power LED does not come up. If I press power again, it does the same thing like it was not on prior. I had that tv for maybe two year and used it from time to time without issue but I haven't turned it on for a few month due to a lack of time to play game. I was able to locate a damaged capacitor on the power board (board F) that leaked pretty bad and many traces were blackened. I cleaned everything up and replaced the capacitor with one of the same value and reflowed a few of the worse solder joint but the TV still won't boot up. I would really like to have it repaired as it is a very good TV set for retro-gaming and they are getting harder to come by. I have electronic experience but lack the theory to diagnose this issue. I also have a healthy respect/fear for tube TV as I know how dangerous they can be if you are not careful poking around. I was advised to test pin 8 of the component PM501 (board A) but it is very deep inside the TV and I am not sure how to safely test that while the TV is on. Is there anything I can test on the power board to figure out what else is not working correctly? I am not sure how to proceed since the Tv does not stay on long enough for for to test the different voltage lane and try to pin point where it is failing. Anyone with skill from the older CRT TV days would be willing to help me out? It would be really appreciated! Here's the service manual if it can help out pin-point what could be wrong (the failed capacitor is C664 on board F): Sony Trinitron XBR KV-27XBR51 Service Manual

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_5357.jpg
    IMG_5357.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 289
  • IMG_5362.jpg
    IMG_5362.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 141

I managed to fix it! I went back to the basic and started checking all the traces and solder joints I had cleaned and was surprised to find out that a fairly big trace that looked ok had a micro break in the middle. Soldered a jumper wire and all is back to normal!

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 204
  • 2.jpeg
    2.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 142

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor