Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help please for dual humanoid arm robot with 5 DOF

Status
Not open for further replies.

afik_fabregas

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
help please

hello...:D
i'm very glad to know about this forum
i'm a newbie in robotic.
i've Final project at my college, i build Dual humanoid arm robot with 5 DOF at each arm(using servo motor),the goal of my project is how to Synchronize 2 arm with Fuzzy logic methode,when take n carry a color object infront of it.for microcontroller using atmega32 with serial interface(RS232),for sensor using camera.
my question is,what camera must i use?cmucam2,cmucam1,or webcam?i mean which one more easy n ideal for my robot?and please give me a reason...
i've deadline for this final project in june 20 2010..:cry:
ok,thanks for the attention, i hope everyone can help me....:idea:

Re: help please

Cumcam2 is like made for your project, definitely that one ..
The main reason is easy access to it via the serial port and command-response protocol (see attached example) that will be easy to implement with ATMEGA microcontroller with all commands described in details in the Cumcam2 manual ..
https://www.cs.cmu.edu/~cmucam/cmucam2/CMUcam2_manual.pdf

IanP
:D

thanks u so much for bassa n IanP.

bassa : i've a little money for cmucam3,but thanks.:)

IanP : does the cmucam2 can tracking x,y and z axis of object? (i mean beside size,the distance of object can be track to..?).
and then how do you think about webcam?and what the advantage+disadvantage of it?because my lecture suggest me to use webcam...thank you so much..:)

Cameras can only detect x and y, you can see this in action on various demo videos ..

As far as webcam is concerned, I know it is much cheaper then CMUCAM, but access to registers and in that way pixels is almost impossible, they use JPEG video to compress data as much as possible and you, not you - your controller will struggle to extract from it x-y data ..
In my opinion go for CMUCAM and even the oldest (and cheapest) version looks adequate to what you are trying to do ..

IanP
:D

ok,.my friend give opinion to me, that the webcam will be programing via PC using "openCV" to get x and y data,then it send to microcontroller via RS232(microcontroller just controlling servos/actuator).

What do you think about x and y data from object which detected by camera used as parameter to get z data?
thanks bRo..:)

ok,.my friend give opinion to me, that the webcam will be programing via PC using "openCV" to get x and y data,then it send to microcontroller via RS232(microcontroller just controlling servos/actuator).
That solves the x-y issue ..

As far as generation of “z” from "x" and "y" is concerned, I haven’t seen any working example of this sort of data processing done with single camera ..

IanP
:|

i'm sorry...i mean x and y data is the size/large or small object tracked then it used for to get parameter of z..what's this is false statement too bRo?
because my objective is to take and carry an object in front of the robot arm. or maybe you have any advice to help me...?thanks.:)

afik_fabregas said:
bassa : i've a little money for cmucam3,but thanks.:)

CMUCAM2+ and CMUCAM3 will be same price (most of the time) .
If you are going to buy one, it is better to have CMUCAM3 or latest

To find the distance from object to CMUCAM, you may refer this to get idea about that https://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42375

If you really need much complex vision based image processing with high processing power (than microcontroller gives), so then it is better to go for webcam with OpenCV using PC

regards
bassa

yes, webcam.ok...i want take an object in front of my robot(with color detection)..
how do i start with C and openCV?i already read the intro.:)

ehm...what do yoou mean about not a easy task to do when compared with CMUCAM?why?sorry,i don't understand

You may try to implement 2D color tracking example using both (OpenCV and CMUCAM) then you can realize it.

Then also it will help to decide, the way, whether you should move OpenCV or CMUCAM

regards
bassa

thank you for the reply. i ve been studying openCv now.
but i have new problem, i can't make my robot move smoothly, i ve information about to set the speed of the movement and using the kind of filter called "low pass filter" to get really cool and smooth movements.

as you known, i use codevision avr atmega32 at my controller,can you give me some example of program low pass filter please?because some example i search at google is with arduino.
thank you very much

Status
Not open for further replies.