Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on SPI Drive Capability

Status
Not open for further replies.

fenglei

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,everyone.Recently,I'm working on a project with 4 ADC chips.I need to use FPGA to control 4 ADC chips synchronously with CS、SDI、SCK signals.But now,I don't know whether the pin from FPGA can drive 4 pins from ADCs and the SPI bus can work stably.Do I need to add a pull up resistor to the output pin of FPGA and set the pin as open-drain mode.Thanks.

Following is the diagram,and the SDI and SCK signals are in the same connect way.
1605583313188.png

Hi,

If youvare not sure whether it can drive 4 pins in parallel, why not use 4 FPGA pins.

I tend to say it will work. But to know it for sure you need to read the datasheets.
ADC: input levels, input currents
FPGA: Otput levels @ which output current.

And how do you think we can know? We don't know which ADC you use, we don't know which FPGA you use, how it is configured.
We don't know speed requirements. We don't have datasheets.
We don't know wiring length and capacitance..

Try it on your own. Tell us what you think ... according the datasheets values.

Klaus

Your simple diagram is still unclear. Are you planning one common or four separate CS lines? If the SPI bus uses common SCK, MISO and MOSI lines, CS must be separate for each ADC.

SPI needs generally no pull-ups. Layout must observe signal integrity rules depending on the clock speed. Due to fast signal edges of FPGA output signals, there's a risk of ringing SCK edges causing false clocking. Source side series termination may be necessary.

Hi,

If youvare not sure whether it can drive 4 pins in parallel, why not use 4 FPGA pins.

I tend to say it will work. But to know it for sure you need to read the datasheets.
ADC: input levels, input currents
FPGA: Otput levels @ which output current.

And how do you think we can know? We don't know which ADC you use, we don't know which FPGA you use, how it is configured.
We don't know speed requirements. We don't have datasheets.
We don't know wiring length and capacitance..

Try it on your own. Tell us what you think ... according the datasheets values.

Klaus
Thanks for your help.Sorry for that I haven't shown the detail while asking the question.I'm really a freshman in this area,and I have tried my best to do it well.But,in my circumstance,nobody has the knowledge.So I ask the question here.Following is the details.The ADC is LTC1867L.
1) because we want to cut down on pins and sample synchronously,so don't use 4 FPGA pins
2) ADC input voltage should be 3.3v,and input current should be 10uA at max.
FPGA output voltage should also be 3.3v,and output current can be set as 4mA,8mA,12mA,16mA,24mA.
3)because I think you are experienced engineer,and maybe you know the problem well;The FPGA is configured by embedded flash.
4)the period between conversion cycles is nearly 78us,and sck is 10Mhz.
5)as for wiring length,the hardware engineer may be casually on this matter.I see the Cin is 2pF in datasheet.

According to the datasheet,4mA should be enough for 10uA*4.If the wiring length is not too long,the time delay on each cs wire should not have too much influence that ADC can't work properly.As for capacitance,I know that it has influnce on the posedge.For current and wiring length,I think the system should be working properly.

Hoping for your reply.I want to know how to analyse the problem like this.
--- Updated ---

Thanks for your help.Sorry for that I didn't reply in time and I haven't shown the detail while asking the question.I'm really a freshman in this area,and I have tried my best to do it well.But,in my circumstance,nobody has the knowledge.So I ask the question here.Following is the details.The ADC is LTC1867L.
1) because we want to cut down on pins and sample synchronously,so don't use 4 FPGA pins
FPGA output voltage should also be 3.3v,and output current can be set as 4mA,8mA,12mA,16mA,24mA.
3)because I think you are experienced engineer,and maybe you know the problem well;The FPGA is configured by embedded flash.
5)as for wiring length,the hardware engineer may be casually on this matter.I see the Cin is 2pF in datasheet.

According to the datasheet,4mA should be enough for 10uA*4.If the wiring length is not too long,the time delay on each cs wire should not have too much influence that ADC can't work properly.As for capacitance,I know that it has influnce on the posedge.For current and wiring length,I think the system should be working properly.

Hoping for your reply.I want to know how to analyse the problem like this.
--- Updated ---

Your simple diagram is still unclear. Are you planning one common or four separate CS lines? If the SPI bus uses common SCK, MISO and MOSI lines, CS must be separate for each ADC.

SPI needs generally no pull-ups. Layout must observe signal integrity rules depending on the clock speed. Due to fast signal edges of FPGA output signals, there's a risk of ringing SCK edges causing false clocking. Source side series termination may be necessary.
Thanks.Sorry for my late reply. Because we want the 4 ADCs work on the same mode,so tie the 4 cs pin together.Can you explain the following sentence for me.I don't know that much.
Due to fast signal edges of FPGA output signals, there's a risk of ringing SCK edges causing false clocking. Source side series termination may be necessary.

Attachments

• LTC1863L-LTC1867L.pdf
    218.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

You are talking about digital inputs? Or analog inputs? Or power supply?
Let's say power supply Vdd = 3.3V.
Then the digital input voltage levels are: (datasheet) Vil < 0.45V, Vih > 1.9V
Here again I think you rather talk about supply voltage.
The expectable output voltages at the according pin currents can be found in the FPGA datasheet. They usually are named with Vol and Voh.
Yes, I'm experienced in designing ADC circuits. But my skills in mind reading are really bad ;-). We still don't know which FPGA you want to use. We don't have a datasheet.
Thus it's impossible to answer any question about the FPGA.
surely is possible. For debugging it may be easier to run the clock with 1MHz.

There is a hardware engineer? He/she surely should be able to determine pin currents and voltages from a datasheet.

As in post#2: I expect no problems. But this is guessing. It depends on the details.
If you can live with this guessing: all is fine. But no guarantee.
If you need to be sure: You (at first...but we, too) need to know requirement and datasheet details.

Wiring and PCB layout: --> don't use jumper wires, don't use a breadboard.

Klaus

Hi
The expectable output voltages at the according pin currents can be found in the FPGA datasheet. They usually are named with Vol and Voh.
I see Vol is 0.4V and Voh is (vcco - 0.4v=2.9v)

If you need to be sure: You (at first...but we, too) need to know requirement and datasheet details.
What I want is guarantee but not guessing,so,please tell me more about it.I am eager to know more.
Following is the datasheet of FPGA.The device is gw1n-4.
The requirement is:
1)4 ADCs work together in the same mode configured also in the same mode.That is the reason why their each cs、sck、sdi pins are tied together
2)the conversion period is 78us,and sck is 10Mhz
3)we sample from channel 0 to channel 7 in a cycle and do it over and over again.

thanks
fenglei

Attachments

• DS100-2.1_GW1N系列FPGA产品数据手册.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 83

Is it expecting too much if we want a complete schematic that shows the connection of all SPI signals? This would have saved a lot of guesses.

Anyway it's clear now that you have separate MISO and all other SPI signals in common. It's basically possible to drive four ADC signals by a single FPGA pin, PCB layout and termination matters however. As I said, SCK ist the only edge sensitive signal in SPI and respectively critical. 10 MHz is relative slow, but the ADC SCK input is fast and can react on short edge ringing. The best way to avoid problems is to keep the SCK traces short and the ADC close together.

Hi
Is it expecting too much if we want a complete schematic that shows the connection of all SPI signals? This would have saved a lot of guesses.
Actually,I don't have the schematic either because our engineer hasn't drawn it,but I can draw it by myself.
Following is the schematic.We configure the four ADCs together.

but the ADC SCK input is fast and can react on short edge ringing.
I have no knowledge in this area.Can you tell me more detail about it.?

1606143428259.png

Thanks. Question about trace lengths is still pending. I would add series resistor of e.g. 47 ohms to all SPI signals driven by the FPGA to absorb reflected signals. This should be sufficient for medium trace lengths up to e.g. 20 cm.

Thanks. Question about trace lengths is still pending. I would add series resistor of e.g. 47 ohms to all SPI signals driven by the FPGA to absorb reflected signals. This should be sufficient for medium trace lengths up to e.g. 20 cm.
Thanks.Why should the resistor be 47ohm ?
--- Updated ---

Yes, I'm experienced in designing ADC circuits. But my skills in mind reading are really bad ;-). We still don't know which FPGA you want to use. We don't have a datasheet.

There is a hardware engineer? He/she surely should be able to determine pin currents and voltages from a datasheet.

As in post#2: I expect no problems. But this is guessing. It depends on the details.

Klaus
Hi,I am always here waiting for your instruction.

fenglei

Klaus
Hi
Can I ask if it is my bad manner that offended you.If so,I should apologize for that.

Fenglei

Hi,

Nothing to apologize for.

I don't know what you expect...
Didn't I answer every question?

Klaus

Hi,
Nothing to apologize for.
oh,maybe,I made a mistake.
I expect no problems. But this is guessing. It depends on the details.
Last time,you asked me to post the datasheet of the FPGA used in the project for guarentee.So,I posted the paper.And,I don't to know if it will work stably and how to analyse.

I believe the discussion is missing the point. You can expect that any FPGA with 3.3V CMOS or 3.3V LVTTL IO standard matches the input and output voltage levels of 3.3V SPI peripherals. The point needing attention are PCB layout, trace length and characteristic impedance and possible termination, if required.

Unfortunately you didn't yet gave any information about PCB geometry and expectable connection lengths.

Hi,

Yes, FvM, you are correct. Thanks.

@OP:
The datasheet is - in first place - important for you.
In post#5 I wrote: " The expectable output voltages at the according pin currents can be found in the FPGA datasheet. They usually are named with Vol and Voh. "
What I wanted to say: You need to learn to open the datassheet in a PDF reader and do a search on "VOL" or "VOH" or whatever you need to know.
It was not meant that we do this datasheet search for you.

But in case you encounter any problems with (understanding) the datasheet it´s important for us to know what exact device you use and that we have a link to the datasheet to support you.

But we are not here to do your job or do datasheet searches for you. (I´m not upset or angry, saying this) Instead we will help you. We will teach you how to find informations on your own.
Thats at least my goal. To gain knowledge that helps you now - but more important - it should help you for the future.

Klaus

I believe the discussion is missing the point. You can expect that any FPGA with 3.3V CMOS or 3.3V LVTTL IO standard matches the input and output voltage levels of 3.3V SPI peripherals. The point needing attention are PCB layout, trace length and characteristic impedance and possible termination, if required.

Unfortunately you didn't yet gave any information about PCB geometry and expectable connection lengths.
Hi,
exactly,there is a engineer whose job is to design the schematic and pcb layout.So,until now,I don't know the hardware detail or if the engineer will do well.Last time,you said we should use 48 ohm to avoid reflection.Our manager said we will use 22 ohm resistor.
--- Updated ---

Hi,

Yes, FvM, you are correct. Thanks.

@OP:
The datasheet is - in first place - important for you.
In post#5 I wrote: " The expectable output voltages at the according pin currents can be found in the FPGA datasheet. They usually are named with Vol and Voh. "
What I wanted to say: You need to learn to open the datassheet in a PDF reader and do a search on "VOL" or "VOH" or whatever you need to know.
It was not meant that we do this datasheet search for you.

But in case you encounter any problems with (understanding) the datasheet it´s important for us to know what exact device you use and that we have a link to the datasheet to support you.

But we are not here to do your job or do datasheet searches for you. (I´m not upset or angry, saying this) Instead we will help you. We will teach you how to find informations on your own.
Thats at least my goal. To gain knowledge that helps you now - but more important - it should help you for the future.

Klaus
Thanks,what I really need is to know what is important to read in a datasheet.In fact,I haven't thought that you would do it for me.What I really asked is what is inportant in a project and how to analyse.In the past,I only read the timing diagram、pin explanation and configure explanation,and then guess if the whole project will work properly and well.Our engineers don't know for sure either. So I tried to learn how to make the project well.That is the reason why I'm here.Actually,I think you had found that I lack a lot of knowledge even what is essential in a project.
So,I really appreciate the help you have given.

Last edited:

Hi,
Thanks,what I really need is to know what is important to read in a datasheet.In fact,I haven't thought that you would do it for me.What I really asked is what is inportant in a project and how to analyse.In the past,I only read the timing diagram、pin explanation and configure explanation,and then guess if the whole project will work properly and well.Our engineers don't know for sure either. So I tried to learn how to make the project well.That is the reason why I'm here.Actually,I think you had found that I lack a lot of knowledge even what is essential in a project.
So,I really appreciate the help you have given.
At first: You did not make a mistake. :)
If there is an engineer as hardware designer, then you even did a part of his job.
I think I wrote how and where to determine the values and I´ve given the typical abbreviations to look for.

If I missed something, or still something is unclear, you are welcome to ask.

Klaus

Hi,

At first: You did not make a mistake. :)
If there is an engineer as hardware designer, then you even did a part of his job.
I think I wrote how and where to determine the values and I´ve given the typical abbreviations to look for.

If I missed something, or still something is unclear, you are welcome to ask.

Klaus
Hi,
I will first do what you have say.Then,if there is something unclear,I will come back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back