Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on remote control dog door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

captstevedelta

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
remote control dog door

Problem: To have a remotely controlled doggie door that can be operated from a range of 500'.

I need to have a remote control release a spring loaded doggie door. I am envisioning a spring loaded door that I can manually close then latch with some sort of servo. Then have the servo retract/rotate/whatever to release the door from 550' away.

I am new to this, but was thinking someone here might be able to get me started in the right direction. In fact, I first posted this son a remote control aircraft board, and was told to look here as "those guys do this before breakfast". So, if you haven't had breakfast, feel free to weigh in.

Thanks in advance

remote control doggie door

This seems to be divided into two problems. First, the remote control and secondly, the electromechanical control of the door.

With the remote control portion, there are some off the shelf stuff that can be used. The cheapest solution is the X10 home automation stuff. Go to www.x10.com and search for home automation. There you will find wireless remotes and boxes that can control an electric outlet. Into this controlled electric outlet you would plug the soleniod that controls the door. This equipment is also available on Ebay, some Radio Shacks, and many resellers. In addition to controlling electric outlets, they make modules that control a switch or a relay, if that is required.

I have seen these remotes work across 300 feet. If it is clear line of sight, then it could possibly go 500 or more feet. People have tweaked the receiving antenna also to increase the distance.

Higher up the price curve are other companies making home automation equipment. Do an Internet search and you will find others. If the 500 foot distance is serviced from a common electrical panel, you could also do powerline communication.

For the mechanical portion, you may want to consider a magnetic lock.

dog box electric latches

banjo is right if you want this thing to be accurate and not costy better to get a tx rx.
by the way why do you want the remote control?
you will sit there waiting your doggy to come to open the door.
you can use a magnetic sensor which operates using magnets. the magnet will be put on your dogs collar when it comes to the door it will unlock letting the dog to go in ( enters by pushing door).
anytime other dog comes the door will be locked so if pushes the door will not be opened.
good luck
your doggy must be a happy dog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back