Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on Linux Red Hat 7.2 Installation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

always@smart

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Dear All,

I recently just bought the Toshiba Satellite 2430-A620 which comes with Windows XP(Pro)..

The Spectification is shown below:

Processor Intel® Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHz
512KB L2 Cache memory

Memory 512MB DDR PC2100 SDRAM

Storage 30GB Hard Drive
8x DVD-ROM
1.44MB Floppy disk drive (Modular Bay)

Display 32MB AGP 4x NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go
14.1-inch TFT active matrix

Ports on System VGA-in
Parallel port
Fast Infrared (4Mbps)
Audio jacks: headphone, external mic-in, line-in
3x USB (Universal Serial Bus) 2.0 ports
S-Video for TV-Out.
SD memory slot
RJ11 (Modem)
RJ45 (10/100 LAN)
2x Type-II or 1x Type-III PCMCIA slot

Now, I want to install for dual Operating system, with Linux Red Hat 7.2. When come start to boot the Linux CD from the Bios, it was starting to compress the files,and when it come to detecting the "Kernel" It stop there...

Does any one here know what happen???

Please give me advice...or the better is show me the procedures of installing it..

regards,

always@smart

always@smart said:
Dear All,

I recently just bought the Toshiba Satellite 2430-A620 which comes with Windows XP(Pro)..

The Spectification is shown below:

Processor Intel® Pentium 4 Processor 2.4GHz
512KB L2 Cache memory

Memory 512MB DDR PC2100 SDRAM

Storage 30GB Hard Drive
8x DVD-ROM
1.44MB Floppy disk drive (Modular Bay)

Display 32MB AGP 4x NVIDIA GeForce4 420 Go
14.1-inch TFT active matrix

Ports on System VGA-in
Parallel port
Fast Infrared (4Mbps)
Audio jacks: headphone, external mic-in, line-in
3x USB (Universal Serial Bus) 2.0 ports
S-Video for TV-Out.
SD memory slot
RJ11 (Modem)
RJ45 (10/100 LAN)
2x Type-II or 1x Type-III PCMCIA slot

Now, I want to install for dual Operating system, with Linux Red Hat 7.2. When come start to boot the Linux CD from the Bios, it was starting to compress the files,and when it come to detecting the "Kernel" It stop there...

Does any one here know what happen???

Please give me advice...or the better is show me the procedures of installing it..

regards,

always@smart

Hello ,
it is very litle info that you provided on your problem,but from what i can see you have problem at the time the pakages are installing ??
If this is correct i assume that you have tried to deselect some of the packages, to see which one is causing the hang (may be the cd is bad ??)
provide more details where it is hanging , did you created the file systems
did you format the file sytems, or you mean that kernel of the linux is hanging when it is just detecting the hardware ? more details
Good luck

well, here I give more detail info to you.

1. I did not partition my hard disk since i wanted to keep Windows XP
2. I boot the Redhat 7.2 from the BIOS by pressing "F2"
3. Now the CD start running
--uncompressing the files
--Loading the Kernel

and it stop here.

4. At first I suspect it is because of the CD or CD drive problem,but I did change CD using RedHat 7.2 and also change the CD room,but same thing happen and stop at the same process.

5. I really need to install RedHat 7.2 since EDA tools only support this version.

Hope someone can solve my problem.

Regards,

always@smart

From the info you provided , it is kind of difficult to say where the problem lies....there were some bugs in 7.2.....7.3 is much stable than 7.2 ...try that if possible...also is ur HArdware compatiable with redhat linux...if not..then thats where the problem..even when u boot from bios...the kernel tries to read the HW and load the default values for the HW it found and make the Xserver running....check the compatability list ...u can get that on redhat website....

thank you for info.

can you direct me to the link??

if the HW is incompatible with Linux 7.2, what other way to do (by using the Linux 7.2)??

regards

hmm
Uo see u started to explain that kernel is uncompressing and ..
please specifi last 5 lines .. where it hangs ..
in the krenel it might be some devices that are in the kernel
and they hang .. or triyng to init and cant ..

take some time and send the list of the last 5-10 lines .. where it is hanging

always@smart said:
well, here I give more detail info to you.

1. I did not partition my hard disk since i wanted to keep Windows XP
2. I boot the Redhat 7.2 from the BIOS by pressing "F2"
3. Now the CD start running
--uncompressing the files
--Loading the Kernel

and it stop here.

4. At first I suspect it is because of the CD or CD drive problem,but I did change CD using RedHat 7.2 and also change the CD room,but same thing happen and stop at the same process.

5. I really need to install RedHat 7.2 since EDA tools only support this version.

Hope someone can solve my problem.

Regards,

always@smart

hi
I thing u need to make usefull of your windows.....'u bay alot for that' :eek:

1)- Right click on "My Computer" icon in Desktop >manage.
2)- Chose "Storage" > "Disk management" .
3)- Knowing your Hard disk, make partition of 4 GB for Redhat installation.
4)- Make it Unformated.
5)- If you have any Advanced Program e.g.;Partition Magic.., you must make swap partition with double size of your Ram e.g.; 2*512MB.Then the last 3 GB, format it as Extend 2 (this format for Linux)
6)- By Booting from Linux CD choose the Partition you make, Choose your package to install(Recommended 'Desktop')
7)- Make sure that your Master Boot Record (MBR) is in the active Partition , which is the WinXP partition.
8)- If any problem occur during the installation, use winXP or win2000 boot CD to Fix your MBR from 'Repair' useing command "Fixmbr"

If anything happen, you can send your problem.... :?:

N.B.: Most of Redhat version compatable with H/W of laptop..... 8)

Hi all,

Here i will explain further for my situation. I just tried it today...

please note that using partition magic will be the last option for me...

1. So far, I did not do any partition yet,because from my point of view, the problems i have is not really because of the partition..why??you will see that later...

2.I have created a bootdisk(floppy disk) from the linux (rawrite.exe)

3. I boot the floppy from the BIOS..then it started with the command..there will be two situation(promblems),depending on the command i selected...

3(i).If I select "linux dd" command or simply press "enter", the following process would occur:

a. Loading initrd.img ...............
b. loading vmlinuz ..............
c. the screen turn to "blank",and I have been waiting for few minutes....

3(ii) If I select any other commands (lowres,text,expert,nofb) the following process would happen:
a. Loading initrd.img.............
b. loading vmlinuz................ready
c. uncompressing Linux........ok,booting the Kernel.
d.It hung here....I have been waiting for few minutes as well,but same,nothing in progress....

What is the problem you guy guess????Do you guy think that the problem is because of the partition???

Secondly,I would like to know with the ACPI in the BIOS. I have seen there are topics talk about this feature in the BIOS, and I am currently using BIos with v1.3 for TOSHIBA laptop, but I could not find this feature in the BIos,why???

THirdly, I would like to know about Partition Magic

a. If I had installed with Partition Magic and I had partitioned my drive with this software,so can I uninstall this software in the future?? and recover back to the original partition??

Hope you guys can solve my problems...

Thank you very much.

Hello,

I had a similar strange problem installing Linux in a laptop and I fixed it disabling in the BIOS some hardware not suported in the startup CD. After that, when the installation has finished, I enabled the features in the Bios and they were detected automaticaly during the startup.

Hope it helps,

Katos

Status
Not open for further replies.