Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help on getting antenna measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.

nadabro

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.

Its been a long time i try to design a antenna. I´m trying to build a circular slotted antenna for 2.44Ghz based on the paper "On the Miniaturazation of Cylindrical Omnidirectional Slotted WaveguideAntennas for Wireless Applications"

According to a paper:
1) It uses a C22 waveguide.
97.87mm in diameter.

2) Lenght: "5 * guides wavelength".
5 * 181.5mm = 907.5mm

3) Space between slots is "half guides´s wavelength".
181.5mm / 2 = 90.75mm

4) Slots are spaced 2º from the centerline.
?

5) Slots length: 0.55λ0.
181.5 * 0.55 = 99.825mm

6) Slots width: 3.3% of slots length.
3.29mm

7) Probe at "quarter guide´s wavelength".
45.4mm

8) Antenna top reflector at 0.365λ0 from the last slot.
181.5 * 0.365 = 66.248mm

Are my calculations correct? I´m a bit confused between "guides wavelenght"..

What does mean 4) ?

Also in the paper i didint find any reference the distance between the probe and the first slot..

A image of the antenna is attached (got it from Google Images).

Thanks.

Attachments

• om.png
    om.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 131

4 ) could mean radial offset of slots. If yo look at the picture - slots are not in line - one to the left, next t the right and so on. I imagine center line is drawn and slots offset from it 2deg each way.
I think it is, can not say 100%.

Thanks for the answer.

That makes sense, rectangular slotted waveguides have a offset from the center.

My big confusion is regarding "half guides´s wavelength" and λ0:

Guides wavelenght for a diameter 97.87mm at 2.44Ghz is 181.9, so half guides wavelenght is 181.9/2..?

λ0 is wavelenght in free space, for 2.44Ghz is 122.87, so 0.55λ0, is 0.55*122.87..?

@fiwi thats for rectangular waveguides , i´m looking for circular waveguides. I tried simulate that measurements in a circular waveguide and it does not work great..

@fiwi thats for rectangular waveguides , i´m looking for circular waveguides. I tried simulate that measurements in a circular waveguide and it does not work great..

99.jpg...to remember.

Thanks for the schematic @fiwi.

Unfortunately according to a rude simulation i made (cant confirm or not), that schematic will not work well. The formulas that calculators provides maybe not work in a circular waveguide?

Anyhow, the schematic on rectangular waveguides is a bit different on the circular waveguide in image attached, particularly on the distance between probe and 1st slot.

Thanks for the schematic @fiwi.

Unfortunately according to a rude simulation i made (cant confirm or not), that schematic will not work well. The formulas that calculators provides maybe not work in a circular waveguide?

Anyhow, the schematic on rectangular waveguides is a bit different on the circular waveguide in image attached, particularly on the distance between probe and 1st slot.

You can show any antenna simulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.