Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed with uJDM programmer for PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tzviel

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have built the uJDM programmer to use with ICPROG software in order to write PIC16F84A.

(**broken link removed**)

The circuit is correct and I have configured the software as it said on the uJDM site, but when I try to write a file to the PIC, it doesn't write anything, and the PIC stays empty.

did anybody use this uJDM programmer with this software?
what am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Re: help needed with PIC

First, maybe your programmer can program only 16F84 not 16f84A. For example, programming methods are diffrent between 16f877 and 16f877A.
Second, I used to use JDM programmer with ICProg. For ICProg, I had to run a reg file for winXP. If you are using WinXP or NT system, you should do that. You can find this reg file from ICProg web site. http://www.ic-prog.com/

Maybe your serial port cannot supply the voltage levels required by the JDM programmer. It is common with some notebook computers (and even some desktop) that have only -5V and +5V for the serial communication. As JDM needs at least -9 and +9V to give the Vpp voltage (13,3V) to enter the programming mode, such serial ports doesn´t work. Try to measure the voltages in the pin MCLR/Vpp during the programming procedure.

Check for new designs for the JDM with external power supply, so it doesn´t depend on the serial port as source of power.

When using the ICPROG, you have to setup it properly (ports, time delay, etc, parameters that depend on your computer speed, etc).

An alternative is to build parallel port programmers as "Tait" derivate programmers.

I have decided to build the JDM instead of the uJDM and it works perfectly.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.