Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Needed to home made PCB fabrication?

Status
Not open for further replies.

saumya_85

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
homemade pcb

I have no idea about of PCB Fabrication.
I want make my PCB at my home for through hole component and also for SMD devices.
Help needed for:
What is procedure for home made PCB fabrication?
What are the tools(Equipment) required for it?
What are the steps should be taken carefully?

Could any one help me out?

home smt pcb fabrication

for making pcb at your home

1) create pcb layout
2) create rplica of it on the copper plate (i.e. PCB) using a carbon paper......or with hands if you are goot at drawing
3) use a paint marker, Silver marker or a nail polish to cover the tracks
4) itch the pcb with FeCl3 solution
5) remove the covering material of step 3

your pcb is ready at home

saumya_85

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
pcb wizard soic

can this Home PCB Fabrication technique is feasible for the SMT Components particularly for the SOIC , QFP, packages.

pcb fabrication at home

sau_sol said:
for making pcb at your home

1) create pcb layout
2) create rplica of it on the copper plate (i.e. PCB) using a carbon paper......or with hands if you are goot at drawing
3) use a paint marker, Silver marker or a nail polish to cover the tracks
4) itch the pcb with FeCl3 solution
5) remove the covering material of step 3

your pcb is ready at home

Thanks!

Is homemade PCB fabrication is suitable for SMD device such as Soic package, SMT connectors....

If yes, Is the above procedure is applicable for SMD device?

homemade pcb reflow

hi there,

i tell u about pcb fabrication with simplest possible components.

1. first make the pcb layout of ur ciruitry using any software like pcb wizard,, proteus etc

2. Go to nearest stationary shop and ask for any big size sticker paper(i call it sticker paper i dont know its actual name, u can call it the yellow paper that is behind any sticker).

3. come back home as soon as possible because its hot outside :)

4. using laser printer, print ur pcb on the waxed side of sticker paper. (dont use it too frequent it can affect ur laser printer's drum performance)

5. if it has been printed. take this paper and put printed face side on the pcb copper plate and place fully hot iron for about 10 minutes

6. after 10 mins take that out and wash ur copper pcb so that sticker paper gets seperated.

7. u will observe that all the toner will be transfered from sticker paper to pcb.

8. take this pcb and place it in Ferric chloride liquid(easily available chemical, bur b careful its corrosive and dangerous, use proper protection to use it). shake the liquid as u have placed it and constantly observe the circuit until all copper will remove leaving only that much copper which is behing the toner.

9. wash again and u have now nice little pcb

ya its also for smd's

i am uploading a picture, a fully homade pcb that i made about 2 months ago.(sorry for i didnt performed step 9 well. it has toner still present on it. ishould have washed it throughly)

i have tried my best to get u understand how to make pcb from siple possible available thing.
regards
mosfets.bjt

make fecl3 solution for pcb

GSM Man said:
You don't necessarily need a reflow oven to do SMD work. I've used a soldering iron, as well as a hot plate - much cheaper than oven.
True, but how do you control temperature? How do you fulfill the soldering profile?

Best regards,

ep20k

pcb fabrication homemade

ep20k said:
True, but how do you control temperature? How do you fulfill the soldering profile?
Temperature control is not as easy as with a reflow oven, and you can't control the profile. However, with a little practice you can get decent results. The orignal post was for info on making PCB's at home. I wouldn't recommend this process for commercial work - although I do know of a several companies that use hot plates for making prototypes.

For SMD components with lead pitches of 0.050" or greater I've had good success using a soldering iron. Some soldering iron manufactureres sell tips specifically for this (i.e. XYTronic XYB37)

how to use sticker paper in making a pcb

After the above process,
Is it applicable for testing the prototype in commercial point of view?

homemade reflow ovens

What I have done is to make the very first prototype using the laser print method, then after having all the needed changes I start using a Professional PCB fabricators.

Using the in-house method has saved me both cost and time.

homemade pcb trace width

Unless you like making PCB's at home, there's no real advantage. The process is measy, it's hard to produce boards with trace width/spacing to accomodate QFP's, you can't make feedthru's, it uses chemicals you shouldn't put into the waste stream, etc., etc.

There are hundreds of companies that wil make PCB's very cheaply and deliver them in a reasonable amount of time - even if you only need one or two boards. Just do a web search for "low cost pcb fabrication".

home made pcb traces width

GSM Man said:
Unless you like making PCB's at home, there's no real advantage. The process is measy, it's hard to produce boards with trace width/spacing to accomodate QFP's, you can't make feedthru's, it uses chemicals you shouldn't put into the waste stream, etc., etc.

There are hundreds of companies that wil make PCB's very cheaply and deliver them in a reasonable amount of time - even if you only need one or two boards. Just do a web search for "low cost pcb fabrication".

Thanks GSM Man

Could you tell me what are the tools to be needed for home made PCB, Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back