Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed regarding error correcting codes..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

sridhara

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi friends...
i am planning to implement a error correcting code in vlsi.
could you please tell me which is the best error correcting code which is widely used nowadays...........

I think that Turbo Codes are the most powerfull codes. my Graduation project was for Convolutional and Turbo codes.

@tameresa: have you finished your grad project? Could you share it with me, you project report?

I look forward to hearing from you!

binhjuventus
I have finished this project 5 years ago; I'm not sure if I have a soft copy of it.
Anyway; I will check and be back to you

Hi
Doing error correcting codes in VLSI is good but type of that is depend on your channel and application.
Convolutional codes have good performance and viterbi decoder is available in VLSI format.
Viterbi decoder is optimal decoder for convolutional codes.

Hi,

Actually Im also doing a similar project. fpga implementation of an ecc.
Turbo codes and Low Density Parity Check (LDPC) are considered to be the best nowadays since they are close to the shannon limit. But which ECC to use depends on the application. Im trying to work on the LDPC implementation.

I recommend reading the following books
1. Error Control Coding: Fundamentals and Applications - S. Lin and D. J. Costello, Jr.
2. The Art of Error Correcting Coding - Robert Morelos-Zaragoza. http://www.eccpage.com/

hi,
you said that u want to implement an error correcting codes on VLSI.
Before that u should have the clear picture of the environment ur going to use it.

for example, for AWGN channel convolutional codes using viterbi decoding algorithm will very well do and in fact the chips are in market with different performance grades.

for a rayleigh or rician channels turbo codes with log_MAP algorithms are making an aggressive impact.

and on the complexity side, turbo codes are very complex with high computational overhead, u have take care of tiddle factor, exponential multipication, flaoting point to fixed point conversion i.e. Q12 or Q16 format, as well as memory contraints when u r trying to iplement on DSP...

so try to figure out what u want to do ...

cheers ......:D

Hello
these are MATLAB m-files.
These files is usefull for Encoding & Decoding RS
RS(15,11)

Status
Not open for further replies.