Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed in getting started in ASIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninja

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
friends,
ASIC sounds to be interesting topic.i am hearing lot about it, i would like to learn it. i am an Electronics engg student .i know a little bit of VHDL , will it be possible for me to learn ASIC ?.can u suggest some good books or tools to start with.

You can find lots of stuff in this forum. Just click on search link and give some keywords such as asic, vhdl, verilog, design for test, ... to find a bunch links, ebook. I suggest you to start with this book.

ASIC Application Specific Integrated Circuits

Regards

I strongly recommend this book:
"Digital integrated circuits - A Design Perspective" by J.M.Rabaey.

First you have to understand the principles of Digital design.
Digital Design: Principles and Practices and Xilinx 4.2i Student Package (3rd Edition) is a good book.

The book that eexuke recommended ("Digital integrated circuits - A Design Perspective" by J.M.Rabaey) is good for CMOS and VLSI design which gives you a deeper knowledge of digital design.

The next step is to understand the ASIC design flow. The ASIC Application Specific Integrated Circuits that omid219 recommended is like an encyclopedia for ASIC. You can use it as a reference because it covers everything related to ASIC design.

The hardware languages used are VHDL and Verilog. There are many books that you can choose to learn either language.

Finally a good book if Synopsys is used for synthesis is "Advanced ASIC Chip Synthesis Using Synopsys® Design Compiler® Physical Compiler® and PrimeTime®"
which describes the commands used with these tools.

As you come from electronics you will probably have the background of digital design. This is essential before moving on to learn a hardware language.

<<Verilog HDL Synthesis A Practical Primer >>

hi
read book by Smith for Basics.also first decide in which field you want to go whether it is physical design,Verification,coding

to design ASIC, you definitely need a FPGA and FPGA development kit, here is the information for you. find out the attachment.

You should study some books about Logic design ,layout design,verify etc. The same you should study some tools of IC design.

I have found that "hdl chip design" by Douglas J smith to be a good starting point for FSM. Also look at MIT course materials. I have the link somewhere, I will post it when I get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back