Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed in designing LNA X-band

Status
Not open for further replies.

bee5906

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello.im a student and i need help to design my LNA in X-band.step by step.thx

What's your requirements? Gain? NF? etc.
You can use SmithChart for design.

What's your requirements? Gain? NF? etc.
You can use SmithChart for design.

um.i'm not pretty sure.but if i'm using the atf36163 model,do i have to follow the requirements as give, like noise figure = 1dB, gain=9.4dB?and how do i get it to operate at 10Ghz?i'm really clueless about this.but thanks for your help.

If you had already decided which transistor you'll use, then the best performance figures like NF and gain are alredy defined. So you should design the LNA to achieve these figures (probably the most important is the lowest NF). See circuit examples in datasheets and start your matching from that. Don't forget about the stability. Use low-loss substrates, like Rogers duroid. Tell us more where can we help you with, since your question is too general. If this is your first time with RF design, you should definitely start with a lower frequency. You could make an x-band amplifier and also an oscillator in Ka-band at the same time, even without knowing it.

Hi bee5906,

Here is a general approach.

1) Plot Stability Circles, NF circles, and gain circles on the Smith Chart.
2) Match input for NF and stability.
3) Match output for gain and stability.
4) Simulate your circuit and make sure you have the basic functionality over a narrow band.
5) Run optimization routine to obtain desired BW, NF, match, reverse isolation (low S12), and gain etc...

Hope this helps,

Microwave123

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back