Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help needed in current consumption calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ringo888

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
how to calculate current consumption

Hi Guys,

I've come abit stuck on this one:

If I had 2 seperate regulators (+5V and +3.3V) and i was getting current consumption of:

250mA @ 5V
and 400mA @3.3V

How would you calculate the current at Vin if Vin was say 12V. This is just a generic question, I don't have a real-world circuit to provide any further information, its just a general question.

As usual, any help would be really appreciated.
Thanks,
Ringo888

Re: Current consumption calc

If both are linear regulators the output current equals the input current plus the current consumed by the regulator itself. So just add the currents.
If they are buck (SMPS) regulators, calculate the output power of each one, divide them by their respective efficiencies, sum them and divide the result by 12.

Current consumption calc

hi,

As per your statement, your source voltage is 12v lets take DC.

There are number of methods available for voltage regulation purpose. that system should consume some power. such a manner you should calculate total power dissipation in that design.

This total power delivered by 12v DC supply.

Now you can easily calculate the source current.

Bye

Current consumption calc

for dc case, multiply the current and voltage at output to get the power. divide power by input voltage to get input current. Remember to sum the output powers of both the regulators.

Re: Current consumption calc

Cheers for the info guys

ringo888

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back