Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help Needed identifying a component

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorax

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Not sure if this is the right section to ask this, but here it goes:

My friends and I are working on a project for Uni, and we took apart a Safety Siren Pro Series HS71512 3 Radon Gas Detector to study the components inside it.

We have managed to identify all the components apart from one. This was in the main detection chamber of the device - we believe it to be some sort of Scintillation Cell, but cannot be sure.

Pictures have been attached of the component in question - it's the small shiny black square thing, on top of the large green square. The whole thing is stored in the black plastic box, that we believe to be the ionisation chamber.

Our theory is that the radon particles ionise the air the chamber, and the ions are detected by this black square somehow. We just aren't sure what this square is, or how it detect ionised air particles (if it does at all).

Would really appreciate it if someone could identify what it is and let us know. Thanks :)

Attachments

• FYP object.jpg
    FYP object.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 130
  • FYP.jpg
    FYP.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 130
  • 07112012020.jpg
    07112012020.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 128
  • FYP2.jpg
    FYP2.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 121
  • FYP 3.jpg
    FYP 3.jpg
    269.6 KB · Views: 134

Scintillation Cell is as good a guess as any. It looks unusual enough to be a special component.

Try doing a search for scintillator repair, or do-it-yourself projects. If they use a similar component then your guess will be confirmed.

Do you have a source of radioactive emissions? Some geiger counters have one attached to the housing. It's a way to test operation. The scintillation cell may or may not be easily overloaded, however. A scintillator is very sensitive.

It could simply be a photodiode. Masked photodiodes are used for radiation measurement.

Keith

It could simply be a photodiode. Masked photodiodes are used for radiation measurement.

Keith

yes you are right mask photo diode can used for radiation measurement, elektor publish a artical couple month back on photo diode as short band to long band radiation measurement.
but poster stated that it is GAS measurement instrument not radiation measurement further from the picture it look like hospital central air and GAS supply monitoring system

regards
Fragrance

Please look closer. The black sensor mounted at center. A red led also placed near. both of it covered with a black plastic box[so surly the LED not for indication purpose]. This setup can be used to sense the gas [particularly smoke]. But the LED should emitting a know wavelength. The sensor may be a photo sensor attached with pyro optical filter, so the filter will allow only one wave length [may be LED'S wavelength]... Its my guess....

I need to know only one thing Is there any ventilation hole available for gas flow to the black plastic box? I can not see this through your photograph...:-D
I did some project with this concept... That's why....:wink:

Regards
Udhay

As it is for measuring Radon gas, I assume that it does that by measuring the radiation given off by the Radon, in which case a photodiode is a possibility. There are plenty of papers on using PIN photodiodes for the measurement of Radon.

Keith

We found something online that indicated it was a photo-voltaic sensor after all:

"It is a solid state continuous radon monitor which utilizes patented technology. At the heart of the device is a measurement circuit and pulse processing software which records alpha events on a photovoltaic sensor. Radon daughters create a spark when they come in contact with the potential across the collection dome and the photovoltaic sensor counts these pulses. The software equates pulse volume into pCi/L (Pico Curies per Liter) and then displays the information on the LED display"

https://testproducts.com/alarm-radon-detector-monitor-hs71512-approved-series-p-701.html

So I guess that's what it is.
Thanks for your help guys :)

- - - Updated - - -

We found something online that indicated it was a photo-voltaic sensor after all:

"It is a solid state continuous radon monitor which utilizes patented technology. At the heart of the device is a measurement circuit and pulse processing software which records alpha events on a photovoltaic sensor. Radon daughters create a spark when they come in contact with the potential across the collection dome and the photovoltaic sensor counts these pulses. The software equates pulse volume into pCi/L (Pico Curies per Liter) and then displays the information on the LED display"

http://testproducts.com/alarm-radon-detector-monitor-hs71512-approved-series-p-701.html

So I guess that's what it is.
Thanks for your help guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back