Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help needed for integrator design

Status
Not open for further replies.

muiyuen

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In my integrator design for a ramp output, i need a large resistance value of >500kΩ. Is there anyway to realize this large resistance instead of using a resistor, since resistors take up large die area? Can i use a MOS active load? Kindly advice...thanks!

muiyuen said:
In my integrator design for a ramp output, i need a large resistance value of >500kΩ. Is there anyway to realize this large resistance instead of using a resistor, since resistors take up large die area? Can i use a MOS active load? Kindly advice...thanks!

Hi, muiyuen
Why not realize this resistor in external?
You can use the following formula to calculate the Ron
Ron=L/[KW(Vgs-Vt-Vds)] and then compare this value with the passive resistor to determin which should be used.
By the way, sometimes put some components outside of the chip is also a good choice.

sixth

u need to study hard,, its only a basic concept of designing an IC,, study hard,dont forget to bring along your calculator to your home.

muiyuen

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
muiyuen said:

I think external resistor maybe a good choice.
Also foundaries provide high resistance process, typically 1k ohms/sq. Still this will cost large area.
Active load may be not good enough, as it's linearity is a problem and long channel MOSFET has parastic caps or so. You can use it if you are sure they wont impact your application.:|

I did a filter whose fc=125Hz.

You can use a OTA with little gm to replace the Resistor! (gm=1/R)

ricklin said:
I think external resistor maybe a good choice.
Also foundaries provide high resistance process, typically 1k ohms/sq. Still this will cost large area.
Active load may be not good enough, as it's linearity is a problem and long channel MOSFET has parastic caps or so. You can use it if you are sure they wont impact your application.:|

Thanks for the feedback...if i used an external resistor, would there be any effect on the integrator operation, since it is external to the chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back