Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

HELP!!! MOS Capacitor - capacitance calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

acey80

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

i'm considered quite new in cmos layout...although already about 2 yrs..:|

How to determine the value of W and L of the nmos or pmos capacitor?

from the basic formula, Cox = 2fF/µm x µm & CMOS-cap = Cox*W*L
what is µm x µm? is it varies? or a fixed value of 1 µm²

i'm so tensed as I'm still unable to figure this out... maybe because i never use this before. I'm used to the double poly cap.....
PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance...

It means that capacitor unit is ff/um2.
But, for MOS capacitance, I suggest you refer to the document by foundry.

acey80 said:
Hi,

i'm considered quite new in cmos layout...although already about 2 yrs..:|

How to determine the value of W and L of the nmos or pmos capacitor?

from the basic formula, Cox = 2fF/µm x µm & CMOS-cap = Cox*W*L
what is µm x µm? is it varies? or a fixed value of 1 µm²

i'm so tensed as I'm still unable to figure this out... maybe because i never use this before. I'm used to the double poly cap.....
PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks in advance...

Generally, transistor cap can be caculate by your method, Ctot=Cox*W*L, and they can be influenced by the channel length and Width modulate coeffient, maybe you don't need consider this, because the W and L will be large enough. At the same time, use the transistor cap need note the C-V curve of of the transistor, that is the transistor need to working in satuation region to ensure the cap is acurrate just as your caculate, and the more detail Cox you can build a simple simulation to get it, eg, a RC etal.
Best regards

Added after 1 minutes:

4_1165330984.JPG

Hi
when I plot C_Vgs there is an abrupt change when Vgs >0 it is not smooth as your picture. So I don't understand what happen, I think it have to like your picture. Is there any error in my simulation or there is any error in Bsim model. I see some document say that Bsim3 don't describe accurately.
Can anyone give me some ideas about this?
Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back