Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with target light gun project for LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

markdem

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all, I have a idea for a project.
I would like to make a adapter for a rifle that I can shoot at my TV (no bullets of course), much like the old duck hunt game for a Nintendo. From what I have read on the internet, the old guns would work by blanking the screen, and drawing just the target white, then a photo diode in the gun would work out if it was pointing at the target. This sounds good, but I am only shooting at one target, the normal rings in rings type, which does not move, and will take up most of the screen.
I then read that some light guns used the sync and refresh rates to work out where the gun was pointing. Problem with this is, I have a LCD, which i don't think work the same way as a CRT.

My question is, what would be a good way of working this problem out? I guess i don't have to use a LCD to display the image. I need to have a very fine (.25mm) resolution in the detection of the position.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

Re: Target light gun

Just read on the internet that the Nintendo Wii does what I am looking for. It does this by emitting two main beams of IR light out from a device that sits under the TV, and the remote uses that for a fixed reference in space. I understand how this can workout distance from the IR source, but how does it know where on the TV you are pointing at?

Thanks
Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back