Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with interfacing a LCD using parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhi_yi

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lmb162afc-2

hi, please help me out, i am get stuck in interfacing the LCD using parallel port.

i use the LCD from topway, here is the datasheet :
www.topwaydisplay.com/Product/ pdf-manual/LMB162AFC-2-Manual-Rev0.1.pdf -

from what i read in many tutorials about access the LCD, what i have to do is first initialize the LCD, am i right? i tried it, but i don't know, why did nothing happen on my LCD after i sent the instruction to initialize it, and then set the cursor blink, i thought there must be something error in my hardware circuit, or maybe in my program, i hope someone would give me an example on access the LCD, it's not different from any other 2x16 LCD, all of the pins configuration is the same, and also the instruction. is it better i upload my circuit, and the program?

thank you ..

Re: help me LCD

Hello,
Yes, you are correct about initialization. You also have to have a circuit for contrast adjustment, and you have to adjust that until your screen shows characters. Do you know about that? It is just a small pot connected to your supply and the contrast pin, usually around 10k. I haven't used LCDs with parallel port, just with microcontrollers, but there is a forum where you can get help, and they even have some pc applications to control your LCD. The forum can be found here:
http://forum.lcdinfo.com/
Hope this helps a bit; if you have more questions, just ask and i'll try to help.
Best wishes,
Robert
PS, If you post your circuit I'd be glad to look it over and give you my opinion.

Re: help me LCD

I'd recommend reading the controller's datasheet:
http://www.sitronix.com.tw/sitronix/SASpecDoc.nsf/FileDownload/ST7066U464508/$FILE/ST7066Uv20.pdf

Here you can find examples on how to initialize that thing.

Mik

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back