Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with designing a 8 bit binary comparator using VHDL

Status
Not open for further replies.

sssr

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Comparator

Hi

I have to design a 8 bit binary comparator using VHDL that consists of 3 inputs -
two data words (8 bit vector) and an input state (2 bit vector). There are two outputs - output state (2 bit vector- '00' => A=B, '01' => A>B etc ) and a Bitwise Exclusive-OR of the input words (8 bit vector). The design can only use 1 and 2 input nand gates.

I'm having a bit of trouble getting started with the design. I don't know what input state does. Can anyone help or point me in right direction.

Thanks

Re: Comparator

can u please explain more the design required cause it is somehow not obvious (to me at least)....it is easy don't worry...but i am just a bit confused about the specs

thanks,
Salma

Reactions: zohour

sssr

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

zohour

thanks for the reply

First I have to design an 8-bit module comparing the two input vectors. Then I have to
use two of the modules to design a 16-bit binary comparator. That is pretty much all the information I've been given.

I think that at the input state you have to connect the output state of another comparator.
When you'll design the 16 bits comparator you'll need to tell to the comparator of the least significant 8 bits the result of the comparison of most signifiant 8 bits.

sssr

thanks for your help - should be able to figure it out now

Reactions: zohour

zohour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor