Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronic Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Register Log in

Help me with building power supply - materials, calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajun4417

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
HELP PLEASE!!!!

I am trying to build a power supply that has an input voltage at 120V AC and an output voltage at 3V DC and 3 more at 6V DC, 9V DC, and 12V DC. I know i need a transformer but I'm not sure what size. I think I need a diode and resistor, but once again I not sure what size. If possible could someone help me with the materials and the calculations on how to find the right values. Thank you.

dfullmer

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Re: HELP PLEASE!!!!

Hi,

best place to start is how much current of each voltage do you need? When you know that multiply the (3V*I)+(6V*I)+(9V*I)+(12V*I)= some VA or watts. Then you need to assume some kind of power supply efficiency. If it is a switching regulator it may be about 80% efficient. So what ever VA you got from the beginning needs to be divided by the efficiency so VA/0.80 = the total VA you should need from the transformer. Now at this point based on your needed voltages I would go with a step down switching regulator design. Say something like the national series LM2576. The also have a decent work bench set up that can design the circuitry for you. Give you a bill of materials and so forth.

h**p://webench.national.com/appinfo/power/webench/index.cgi

hope that helps

dfullmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor