Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with a simple incremental relay design

Status
Not open for further replies.

nightdesigns

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Incremental Relay

First off, I took a class in IC design a few years ago, but most of it is pretty foggy. I know my way around, but remembering how to build specific circuits is a wash. For all of you, this will be an easy one.

Here is what I want to do, I want to build a simple counter. Basically I have two inputs, A & B. They will control 10 outputs.

Each time you hit A, it will turn on the next output and turn off the previous. So for instance, If they're all off, and you press A, output 1 will turn on. If you press A again, output 1 will turn off, output 2 will turn on and so on.

B will be reset, turning off all outputs.

Can someone point me in the right direction to find a schematic, or provide me with the first few levels and I can do the rest.

Thanks!

Incremental Relay

You can try using D flip-flops, connecting them as asynchronous counter, i.e. connect A to the clock input of the first FFD, then connect the output of the first FFD to the clock input of the second FFD, connect the output of the second FFD to the clock input of the third FFD and so on. Then connect the reset pins of the FFDs together and connect them to input B.

Hope this can help.

Re: Incremental Relay

You can realise this idea using TTL or CMOS ICs, and the D-Flip-Flop option from the previous post is probably very easy to implemant.
But, would you like to be involved in microcontollers world?
This task can be easily done with just single microprocessor, and, still having the same hardware, you can change the algorithm at your will.

Will you consider this option?

IanP said:
You can realise this idea using TTL or CMOS ICs, and the D-Flip-Flop option from the previous post is probably very easy to implemant.
But, would you like to be involved in microcontollers world?
This task can be easily done with just single microprocessor, and, still having the same hardware, you can change the algorithm at your will.

Will you consider this option?

What kind of cost is associated with a microprocessor setup?

As far as hardware is concerned the cost of 1off microcontroller with <2k Flash or OTP will be <$10.
To write software for this application should not take more than 2h.
You will need a device to "burn" code into µP but in many places local hobby shops offer these services.
If you haven't been involved in microcontrollers you will need some help but I am pretty sure there will be doezens of members willing to offer you a lot of help..

Other hardware such as power supply, drivers or RLYs are the same for all options.

IanP said:
As far as hardware is concerned the cost of 1off microcontroller with <2k Flash or OTP will be <$10.
To write software for this application should not take more than 2h.
You will need a device to "burn" code into µP but in many places local hobby shops offer these services.
If you haven't been involved in microcontrollers you will need some help but I am pretty sure there will be doezens of members willing to offer you a lot of help..

Other hardware such as power supply, drivers or RLYs are the same for all options.

Can you point me in the direction to a web site so that I can an overview of the process and see what I'm getting myself into. I have some basic programming experience, so I don't think that would be too hard.

Thanks.

I like 51-family so here you can find basics:
**broken link removed**

Here is some info on PICs:
**broken link removed**

There are more families of microcontrollers and the choice is yours...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back