Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me with a Power Factor Controller project

Status
Not open for further replies.

umery2k75

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
power factor controller

need to make up the Power Factor Controller for the final year project. Actually that's my friend project. He got around 6 months to compete that project, but he couldn't with group of 4 people, they had done nothing in the project so far. Now their group leader is asking me to complete his project. I believe his knowledge of electronic is poor, but on the other hand he has the highest grades achieved so far in graduation. I'll be free on 16th May 08 and their submission is on 19th May 08. I don't have enough time to carry up the research work on this. Friend of mine told me that somebody advises him to use a small matrix of capacitor on the line load and with help of relays switch them. Measure up the voltage and current phase difference and calculate the offset, according to the offset values switch capacitors accordingly with microcontroller or something.He told me he'll use the Current transformer for that. The load would be made by the autotransformer, those guys purchased the autotransformer working from line frequency. He said, it's kind of dummy inductive load for that. In short, the purpose is that when the inductive load on the line increases, the capacitors get connected on the line with relays.He also said they'll also have a zero cross detector.
I appreciate if anybody could help me as how to implement it in the block form. I'll make the circuit for that or if you have any circuit schematic on that, that would be very helpful. It's not my work so I'm not worried.Neither I care whether this final year project will be completed within 2-3 days or not! I'll try my best to make up their project.

hall effect + current + power factor

hey guy...actually i had do this project before..but i named it powe factor corrector..i think it same with what you want.bt now i can't find da circuit that i draw before..but i can tell you the theory la..

1st use a hall effect current transducer/current transformer to measure ac current from voltage source...then use a comparator/schmitt trigger to change both voltage and current signal from sine wave to pulse wave...so now use a XOR gate to XOR the two voltage and current pulse wave...so you can get the phase different of voltage and current...so now built a pulse wave generator using 555 timer...pulse width around 10ms..depend on you..so AND the signal of 555timer and phase difference from XOR gate...so you can get a pulse wave that represent how much degree of phase difference,(for my project is 1 pulse = 10degree), so now need use a counter that able to count how many pulse in an intrval ( 100ms for my project ).then use the signal from counter to select relay to switch on which capacitor that you want to use...

actually i just built up my 1st prototype then i stop it already...my 1st prototype can funtion but not so nice..hope the infomation i give can help you...and i wil upload the schmetic that i drawn when i find it bc...all the best...(i use 1 month to do this)

power factor controller projects

hi
please provide me detail explanation of what do you want actullay,

power factor corretion we can do in so many ways...

ramesh

power factor controller + pakistan

Give me the ideas that you have on power factor controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.