Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me understand meter specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmoggyTurnip

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am looking to buy a multimeter so I am comparing the specs of some different models. It occured to me after some time that I really don't understand exactly what the specs mean. For example for the Fluke 15B meter resistance measurement we have:

Resistance :400 / 4K / 40K / 400K / 4M / 40M Ohm, +/-0.5%+3, 0.1 ohm to 40Mohm

So lets say I am measuring resistor and the meter reads 1000 ohms. Does that mean that the accuracy is:

+/- (.005*1000 +3*.1) = +/- 5.3 ohms or,
+/- (.005*4000 +3*.1) = +/- 20.3 ohms or,

something else?

No it means that the 1K is measured at .5 % = +- 5 ohms plus an added 3 ohms (?) so its 1003 +- 5. I believe that you have read (or Fluke have written) its spec badly. I would have presumed that what they actually mean that at the extreme ranges, its accuracy degrades to +-3%. So for 1K its would be within 5 ohms, for 10 ohms its within .3 ohms.
Frank

I sent an e-mail to Fluke and they responded by sending me a pdf file with a very good description of how to read the meter specs.
I
have attached it here (I think ... I never uploaded an attachment before).

Attachments

• DMM Specifications 4-12-05.pdf
    154.8 KB · Views: 106
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back