Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me to understand class AB input diff pair

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenifer_gao

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
class ab site:edaboard.com

Hi All:

I am listening to the Berkeley lecture of EECS140 about the stability. There is a circuit about Class AB Input Stage Cross Coupled Differential Pair, which is attached. I don't quite understand how this circuit works. Because on the schematic, node A and node C has the same voltage Vi+, and node B and node D has the same voltage of Vi-. But I think from node A to node C, it has a voltage drop about 2Vdsat+2Vt, and the same thing from node B to D. And I don't quite understand the function of the level shift here.
Can anybody explain it? Thanks.

J

I think that Vi+ is not physically connected to C (resp. Vi- to D).
That's only the ac part that is equal due to the 2.Vt shift.
BTW, did you try to simulate it?

No, I don't simulate it yet. Yes I should try

Pay attention to the symbol: Vi. Its means complex variable, phasor or rms value of the signal

those are really "small signals" , so the notations are vi and not Vi

The level shift is needed to keep the core devices (i.e., M6 and M3 or M7 and M2) properly biased. Infact, for a given bias current you need to guarantee a DVgs+Vth each for strong inversion condition.

Note that M1 and M4 act as a source follower here (almost ideal) such that, from a small signal standpoint, you have same vi+/- at the input of the core devices.

Then each device from the core amp modulates a current equal to gm*vi+/- ... now you can do your math.

nathan

Yeah. The function of M1/M4 is to achieve a high input impedance, and that of M5/M8 is to shift the Dc level of the input signal so that M6/M7 are properly biased. What you mentioned regarding the voltage drop from point A to point C is right, but that is the DC voltage drop. The small signal voltage at both points is the same as the source follows the small signal variation of the gate and vice-versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back