Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

help me to choose right hardware/software

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious_mind

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have to design a disturbance recorder for power systems. Specs are detailed. But in essence it should store 100 events on board in a specified format (have to work out for memory depth). I want to just ask forum members, about the right choice of hardware/software for this type of problem. I do not want to design board from scratch.

btw: my natural choice was rasberry pi, but it does not come with flash storage.

Hi,

There should be an SD card on a raspberry.

You are free to
* add external SPI flash memories,
* use network storage
* USB stick,
* USB SDD
* USB HDD

Klaus

Is your plan to write a program yourself?
Or if you're lucky you can find an event logger routine which keeps track of time and creates a new entry each time you send it a piece of data.

Your event can be described in plain language and stored as ascii characters in memory.
Or events can be abbreviated as a single character (b=blackout, d=distorted sinewave, h=hash on the line, v=voltage drop, etc.).

I prefer off the shelf software and hardware modules to do rapid development. Highly appreciate if you can guide me so. I need to deploy this module, so will USB HDD be better or perhaps any other solution. Any alternatives to rasberry pi or will it be the best solution. Coud you provide any link that provides reference design for disturbance recording methodology

ESP826/ESP32 modules maybe.

They have ADC and usually several Mb of on module storage that you can configure as flash filing system. You can interface to most of them with USB and they all have WiFi, ESP32 has Bluetooth too. Costs are very low (< $5 US) and development software is free.

Brian.

PSOC will give you analog (A/D, Vref, Muxes, DAC, PGA+ USB (&USBUART) + DSP + SDCARD + ARM core (some parts
dual core) and lots of other onchip capabilities.

The chip has a catalog of onchip resources. Attached a catalog of onchip components.
In PSOC language a component is an onchip resource.

Here is an example project, single chip. You can see from right hand window still lots of
other resources left for other tasks. Tons of example projects in IDE as well as community
projects done -

https://www.cypress.com/blog/problem-solver/100-projects-100-days-psoc-4-ble Bluetooth

You drag and drop components out of the chips catalog into work area, wire up internally and out to
pins, and use the library of API calls for each component to do your coding. You can do everything
from random logic codeless designs to high end DSP and state machines and designs using DDS
and the like onchip components. Even custom components using either schematic capture or
Verilog or both.

IDE (PSOC Creator) and compiler free. Good low end start board with debug $ 10.

1601633762367.png

1601633793479.png

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Component List (2).pdf
    183 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:

But for disturbance recorder I require good amount of RAM, flash, ethernet all in one place. I do not think PSOC can give me that.

PSOC goes to 1024KB FLASH, 288 KB RAM, PSOC 6 dual core.

PSOC 5LP 256KB and 64KB respectively.

Both support for SDCARD.

No Ethernet.

Regards, Dana.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back