Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me take first steps in DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

izua

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I know a bit of theory about DSP and I want to take my skills to a higher level. More exactly, I plan on 'understanding' a signal from a wave. And later, recomposing a similar signal, from a function.

My problem is that I don't know where to start. I know I'll need some trigo and Fourier series handy, but that's all I can hint to. I've taken a pretty simple sound, a car engine at a constant speed. I've opened it in a few programs and took a look at the wave, but eh, nothing more ^^

How exactly can I start some practical things into this field? For example, transforming (a part) of that wave into a function?

Thanks.

Re: First step in DSP

izua said:
How exactly can I start some practical things into this field?

Probably the best way to start is to use your PC do some simple audio-frequency digital signal processing before buying/building a DSP development kit. To do this you don't really need anything other than your knowledge of DSP theory, the "signal" you want to process and a compiler for your favourite general purpose programming language. The signal can come from your sound card in real-time or from an existing audio file (WAV, MP3 or whatever). You can send the processed signal back to your sound-card or into a second file. What could be easier?

It turns out there are many easier ways. The major difference between what I just suggested and the easier path is the choice of programming language or to be more precise, programming environment. Enter Matlab (https://www.mathworks.com). Matlab is an interactive environment for working with numerical entities like vectors and matrices. A digital signal is just a (possibly very long) vector so Matlab can work wth digital signals too. The beauty of Matlab is that it provides many of the transformations and algorithms you might want to apply to your signals together with a programming/scripting language. It even provides ways to plot ("visualize" to use the jargon) your signals in many different and useful ways. You can read your signal into Matlab and with a few key strokes you could have plotted its spectrum, designed and applied a low-pass filter and saved the filtered signal to a file. What could be better?

The only problem with Matlab is that, unless you are a student, it comes with a hefty price tag. If you can't afford or can't get access to Matlab, the only thing better than Matlab is a free Matlab clone. My final answer to your question therefore is to download and study one of the Matlab workalikes mentioned on this page:

https://www.dspguru.com/sw/opendsp/mathclo2.htm

Have fun!

David

Re: First step in DSP

i think to know how signals works u should try working on MATLAB. in there u can know the signal analysis and signal processing. every thing u want to do can be done in that tool.
so tryout the matlab

hope helps u
bye

Status
Not open for further replies.