Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me select a solenoid diode

Status
Not open for further replies.

mlkcampion

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hey
I need to put a diode in in parallel with a small solenoid, is there a particular type
diode i should use for this, i have seen glass sintered diodes used but as from what i have seen there is ordinary rectifier diodes with same/similar specs such as max reverse voltage = 200vDc.
Also what should the max forward voltage be for this diode. From my understanding of the circuit diode is in reverse bias to the power supply powering
the solenoid which is say 24vDC, now when you remove the power the diode becomes forward biased to the solenoid, a voltage which can be up 70 or more volts. Therefore shoul i be looking for a diode with a large forward voltage?

Thanks

Solenoid Diode

The diode's purpose is to cut the inductive turn-off voltage, not to allow it! Why you are searching for a large forward voltage? Then you can ommit the diode, but you possibly damage the driver.

Actually any rectifier diode is good in this place, for solenoid currents below 0.5 A even a 1N4148 can be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back