Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help me program 2 xbee cards and pic18f2685 to send and receive files

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecrumb88

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
i'm having problem with programming..
i need to program 2 xbee wireless card so that they can function to send and receive files(word or excel)..
somebody please help me..
or anyone having the programming or similar to it?

Re: xbee and pic18f2685.

i'm having problem with programming..
i need to program 2 xbee wireless card so that they can function to send and receive files(word or excel)..
somebody please help me..
or anyone having the programming or similar to it?

HI ,
Have you configured your XBee modules?
if not then doit first using XBee explorer adaptor and the Digi software (X-CTU) or you can even use terminal to doit.https://www.ladyada.net/make/xbee/configure.html
after proper configuration you can connect 2 such XBee modules to 2 PCs and you can communicate between 2 PCs using termina

NB : Terminal= HyperTerm for windows, and for linux Even a Gnome terminal can be used if you know how....

what is XBee explorer adaptor?am i really need to use that? or i can just use X-CTU..
then how about my pic18f2685..am i need to program that?
pls help me..
thank u..

---------- Post added at 01:32 ---------- Previous post was at 00:17 ----------

what is XBee explorer adaptor?am i really need to use that? or i can just use X-CTU..
pls help me..
thank u..

[QUOTE what is XBee explorer adaptor?am i really need to use that? or i can just use X-CTU..
pls help me..
thank u..[/QUOTE]

XBee Explorer adopter is that device, which interface XBee to your PC. it may be a USB or a Serial type.

so what happen to my main controller board?which is containing pic18f2685..am i need to program that?or by configure the Xbee, it already can send and receive file?is that so?

so what happen to my main controller board?which is containing pic18f2685..am i need to program that?or by configure the Xbee, it already can send and receive file?is that so?

By prgramming the XBee I mean to pair the 2- XBees. after they are paired you can transfer the data.

I assume you need to use RS232 protocol. so you only need to pair the 2 XBees. configure the speed , network-ID and endpoint/ controller.

Thats all you need.

Then on PIC side you have to use UART functions to send and receive to achieve your goal.

Hope this clarify your doubts. Else you can explain your problem in more details so that we(some one ) in this forum can help you.

now i understand about configure xbee and rs232 part..i try to do it..thanks for that..
now my big problem is how to do the programming so that my system can send and receive file (word or excel format)..
configuring xbee is not sufficient..there must be a appropriate programming on pic as a brain of the system..

now i understand about configure xbee and rs232 part..i try to do it..thanks for that..
now my big problem is how to do the programming so that my system can send and receive file (word or excel format)..
configuring xbee is not sufficient..there must be a appropriate programming on pic as a brain of the system..

Can you please Picturize your thought/plan?
because I can't co-relate word,excel file with PIC and XBee.

So Please put a scheme on some Drwaing application even Paint will do.

i attached the image how my wireless system looks like..the top layer is XBee, second layer is main board containing PIC18F2685 and the bottom layer is power circuit as a power supply for the system..
i'm having a pair of the system, one for sending file and the other for receiving file..

I'm having coding which is programmed to transfer signal in order to display an alphabet on LCD screen through wireless..what i plan to do is to edit the program so that it can be used to transfer file..will it work?..someone told me that to transfer file such as excel format, the file need to convert into hex..is it true?
how to do that?i really don't know how to do programming..please help me..i'm using software MPLAB IDE V.8..

if you still don't understand, just let me know which part.. i will try to explain more to you..

Attachments

• Wireless system.png
    Wireless system.png
    296 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:

i attached the image how my wireless system looks like..the top layer is XBee, second layer is main board containing PIC18F2685 and the bottom layer is power circuit as a power supply for the system..
i'm having a pair of the system, one for sending file and the other for receiving file..

Well I am more interested in your thought/plan (= IDEA) not your mounting plan ;)

I'm having coding which is programmed to transfer signal in order to display an alphabet on LCD screen through wireless..what i plan to do is to edit the program so that it can be used to transfer file..will it work?..someone told me that to transfer file such as excel format, the file need to convert into hex..is it true?
how to do that?i really don't know how to do programming..please help me..i'm using software MPLAB IDE V.8..

if you still don't understand, just let me know which part.. i will try to explain more to you..

Yes You should always avoid transfering files in binary mode. YOu can use even UUENCODE and transmit and on the receiving side Ues UUDECODE Well i agree this will probably transfer more number of bytes than original but it is safer.

Secondly: If you are trying to parse the Word or Excel file with PIC then it is not feasible though it is possible.

IF you want to use 2 PCs to communicate over XBee and display the file as a remote terminal it is possible and a easy setup.
But involving PIC to handle Word/Excel file is beyond my Imagination even.
but you can certainly try to do something like that. But how you will display graphical characters??? is a big question here.

i actually already gave up to do programming to transfer file between to PCs..
what i'm trying to do right now is to make 2 XBee communicate each other and enable sharing between 2 PCs..
can anyone help me how to make 2 XBee can communicate each other?

xbee and pic18f2685..

my xbee not detected in x-ctu..am i need to do programming in the pic18f2685..
anyone have a source code for them?

Re: xbee and pic18f2685..

my xbee not detected in x-ctu.

Have you been able to establish communication with the XBees using X-CTU in the past?

What are the exact model numbers of the XBees?

.am i need to do programming in the pic18f2685..
anyone have a source code for them?

You'll need to elaborate on the exact requirements of your project.

For many applications the XBees can act as a virtual serial cable replacement.

Would this work for your application?

BigDog

Re: xbee and pic18f2685..

xb01.PNG

that is my xbee with complete circuit..
the circuit will stack with another 2 circuit, controller board which is containing pic18f2685 and the other is power circuit..all 3 circuit will be stacked together to become as a transmitter and the other 3 circuit will be stacked together to become receiver..
how to make those 2 stacked circuit so that they can communicate each other?

Re: SEND .TXT file PC to PC with XBEE

my xbee does not have modem firmware version, and and when I pushed read button on configuration modem tab, it failed to read parameters..
what actually happen?
how can i solve my problem?

Are you able to remove the XBee from the PCB? In other words, is it soldered in or is it removable?

Let's concentrate on the two XBees, we'll deal with the PIC dev boards later.

BigDog

my xbee cannot be removed because it is soldered..

what i have found out from my xbee; FCC ID : OUR-XBEE and IC ID : 4214A-XBEE

i think my rs232 converter is not connected with my pic (without correct programming for them), that is why x-ctu cannot detect my xbee..am i right?

Last edited:

Possibly.

Do you have a schematic of the development board? Or the board containing the XBee?

Do you have two identical development boards? Do both the XBees appear to be the same?

Can you provide a closeup of just the XBee?

Can you see any of the following on the XBee, "S1", "S2", "Series 1" or "Series 2"?

We need to connect the XBees directly to the X-CTU, however this will require RS-232 transceiver like the MAX232 or a USB to LVTTL bridge device like the FTDI FT232.

Keep in mind the XBees are a 3.3V device, not 5V.

BigDog

IFC-XB01 Schematic.PNG

yes, I have two identical development boards and they appear the same thing..

there is only s1, for test switch..

by the way, my main controller board which is containing pic18f2685 also containing MAX232 on it.. I don't know what is the function..

there is a voltage regulator 3.3V on the development board..

please help me..I'm running out of time to complete my project..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back